Question about Cross Breeding a White Leghorn Roo with a Brown Egg laying Hen

floridachickhatcher

Songster
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Hollister,FL
Me and my mom would like to get some Rhode Island Whites but since they are rare and only place that sells them is by special ordering at Tractor Supply and it would cost us over $100 for 20 hens and 5 Roos so we were wondering.

If i took a White leghorn and breed him with say a White Rock,Wydotte,White Buff any of the White hens that lay brown eggs.Would their chicks be White egg layers or brown egg layers like their mommas? Cause we only want brown egg laying chickens really.

Leghorn will make the eggs very light and you will have issue with white eggs for generation. Other consern will be white earlobes and the body tipe. White Rock and White Wyandottes ( hatchery ones) are very good brown egg layers. Why do not use roo from these breeds to make your egg layers?

Thats what we figured would happen. I told her the best thing to do is just buy White Rock Hens and White Rock Roo since i like to use them to make Sex Links..I did last year and i hatched out the 2 most beautiful Red Sex Link Roosters

Back
Top Bottom