Question about feather type

You could achieve this look using the Andalusian blue gene, or the Lavender or Self-blue gene. I have or am in the process of both with my Orpingtons.

Lavender Silver-laced:

View attachment 2601796
View attachment 2601842
View attachment 2601843
View attachment 2601844
View attachment 2601846

Blue Silver-laced:

This is one of my F1 pullets. You can barely see some of the Silver-lacing around her neck in the hackle area.

View attachment 2601856
View attachment 2601857

An F2 chick from the above hen bred back to a Silver-laced rooster:

View attachment 2601858

And these are some of @Faraday40's Blue Silver-laced that are further along in the project.

View attachment 2601894

And some from Anita Heatherly on Facebook:

View attachment 2601896
View attachment 2601897View attachment 2601898View attachment 2601899
View attachment 2601901
View attachment 2601902

What breed were you trying to create the pattern in?
Beautiful birds. I don't think I have the right breeds to create this type of feather pattern. The birds i have are golden laced wyandotte hen+roo, midnight majesty marans, delawares, golden comets, and sapphire olive egger. I was going to use the delaware for white, but they have barring genes and that would probably mess with the pattern.

@Amer! We have need of your genetic prowess.

If you don't really care that the bird be a specific breed and you're only concerned with the color I think you could fairly easily make a bird that is Blue Gold-laced (although those already exist also). Crossing the Golden-laced Wyandotte over the Sapphire Olive Eggers would result in babies that carry the Blue gene. Cross those Blue girls back to their dad for three or four generations and you should have something that resembles a Blue Golden-laced.

If you're dead set on the Blue Silver-laced pattern I don't think with your current birds you can achieve that without getting really, in the weeds. But I'll let @Amer tell you.

Last edited:
Beautiful birds. I don't think I have the right breeds to create this type of feather pattern. The birds i have are golden laced wyandotte hen+roo, midnight majesty marans, delawares, golden comets, and sapphire olive egger. I was going to use the delaware for white, but they have barring genes and that would probably mess with the pattern.
You could still produce the blue silver laced pattern, though it would be more complicated since you’ll have to breed in another bird for silver. Are you looking for something that breeds completely true, or just want a few birds with the pattern? Also, do you have a picture of the sapphire Olive egger? If she has the silver gene, it would help your project a lot. Otherwise, you’d have to use the Delaware to introduce the silver gene.

It’s possible, all the genes are there... just very tricky.
If I were you, I’d get blue laced red Wyandottes and silver laced Wyandottes. Most of the work is done for you and both of those varieties are very easy to get (most hatcheries offer both varieties.)
All you have to do is weed out the red and the gold and you’re all set.

@Amer! We have need of your genetic prowess.

If you don't really care that the bird be a specific breed and you're only concerned with the color I think you could fairly easily make a bird that is Blue Gold-laced (although those already exist also). Crossing the Golden-laced Wyandotte over the Sapphire Olive Eggers would result in babies that carry the Blue gene. Cross those Blue girls back to their dad for three or four generations and you should have something that resembles a Blue Golden-laced.

If you're dead set on the Blue Silver-laced pattern I don't think with your current birds you can achieve that without getting really, in the weeds. But I'll let @Amer tell you.
That's good because I was planning on hatching that mix out of curiosity already. I'm honestly fine with having a blue gold-laced.

You could still produce the blue silver laced pattern, though it would be more complicated since you’ll have to breed in another bird for silver. Are you looking for something that breeds completely true, or just want a few birds with the pattern? Also, do you have a picture of the sapphire Olive egger? If she has the silver gene, it would help your project a lot. Otherwise, you’d have to use the Delaware to introduce the silver gene.
This isn't a very good picture, so I will have to get a better one when I get home. She is multicolored, grey and blue/lavender I think.
Screenshot 2021-04-06 at 12.46.44 PM.png

This isn't a very good picture, so I will have to get a better one when I get home. She is multicolored, grey and blue/lavender I think.
View attachment 2602158
She’s just blue. If you do want to make blue silver laced with only the birds you have available, I would cross your gold laced wyandotte rooster to your Delaware (assuming the GLW is your only rooster). You would get gold partially laced or gold messy columbian hens and silver/gold split partially laced barred or silver/gold split messy columbian barred roosters.
From there you could go several directions. You could breed back to the Delaware for pure to silver chicks, but then you’d have a bunch of barring (a dominant gene) and pretty much no lacing. I’m pretty sure this plan would take the longest, as you’d have to breed back to the GLWs and breed out the barring. Still would make some pretty chicks though.

You could breed one of the GLW/Delaware roosters (silver/gold split) to a GLW hen, producing silver hens, gold hens, silver/gold split roosters, and pure gold roosters, all with better lacing than the original GLW/Delaware crosses but probably not quite as uniform as the pure GLWs. Then you could breed a silver/gold split rooster to the sapphire Olive egger and then those offspring back to a 3/4 GLW 1/4 Delaware that has the silver gene. You would get about half golds in this route, but that sounds like what you want. You probably wouldn’t get any pure silver roosters, but most silver/gold splits just look like silver with some yellowing in the hackles/saddles. If you don’t want barring, you could pick a 3/4 GLW 1/4 Delaware rooster that doesn’t have it for breeding.

The shortest route would be to take a 1/2 GLW 1/2 Delaware rooster and breed that to a sapphire Olive egger. However, since you want lacing, you would have to be lucky to get a first generation GLW/Delaware that actually has clear lacing. Though I have seen it happen. The sapphire Olive egger x’s will probably not have the best lacing, even when bred back to the GLW/Delaware, a lot will be barred. You’ll also get gold laced blues.

I’m sure there are other ways to do it, like breeding the first generation 1/2 GLW and 1/2 Delawares together. Those are the most direct ways I can think of if you don’t care that the pattern is true breeding.

Back
Top Bottom