question about first hatch in a Brinsea Ovation 28

crittercaretech

out of the house and into the grow out coop
Mar 1, 2020
I am putting my eggs into lockdown today for my first hatch using a Brinsea Ovation 28 Ex. I love the fully automatic system. has been a chick saver to this point of the hatch. have had many issue with temp and humidity fluctuations in the past with other incubators. i have read the directions provided by Brinsea and it says two days before hatch remove water pan shutter and water pan covers. I have looked at the diagram in the front of the manual and I don't see pan shutter on the parts list or diagram. after removing the egg carriers, link and the water pan covers there doesn't appear to be any other removable parts except for the water evaporation block. Does anyone know what or where the pan shutter is? The manual says to put the water pan covers over the hatching matt, do you leave the evaporation block in place? I would appreciate any experience or insight anyone may have that can guide me to a successful hatch. This hatch has extra special meaning after my senior aged rooster and long time buddy was lost protecting his girls a few days after setting these eggs.
Lisa

I am putting my eggs into lockdown today for my first hatch using a Brinsea Ovation 28 Ex. I love the fully automatic system. has been a chick saver to this point of the hatch. have had many issue with temp and humidity fluctuations in the past with other incubators. i have read the directions provided by Brinsea and it says two days before hatch remove water pan shutter and water pan covers. I have looked at the diagram in the front of the manual and I don't see pan shutter on the parts list or diagram. after removing the egg carriers, link and the water pan covers there doesn't appear to be any other removable parts except for the water evaporation block. Does anyone know what or where the pan shutter is? The manual says to put the water pan covers over the hatching matt, do you leave the evaporation block in place? I would appreciate any experience or insight anyone may have that can guide me to a successful hatch. This hatch has extra special meaning after my senior aged rooster and long time buddy was lost protecting his girls a few days after setting these eggs.
Lisa
We have exactly same question. Did you figure it out and have any suggestions ?

i did contact Brinsea by email and found out the pan shutter is an added item so its not in the standard box. They ignored the other two questions i asked about if the evaporation block should be left in for hatching and where the cleaning solution could be purchased as it is not offered on their website. i had to recontact them by email due to my temporary double shifts. have not heard back which is a little annoying. i made a judgement call and decided to leave the evaporation block in for hatching as its purpose is to help keep humidity levels higher and at hatch i didnt want t o have trouble there. all but one egg hatched which is so much better then i have had in recent hatches with other brads. the block did get pretty dirty with hatching debris that fell through the water pan covers. i dont think i would want to use it for another hath. monday i will call them and get it all figured out for the next hatch

i did contact Brinsea by email and found out the pan shutter is an added item so its not in the standard box. They ignored the other two questions i asked about if the evaporation block should be left in for hatching and where the cleaning solution could be purchased as it is not offered on their website. i had to recontact them by email due to my temporary double shifts. have not heard back which is a little annoying. i made a judgement call and decided to leave the evaporation block in for hatching as its purpose is to help keep humidity levels higher and at hatch i didnt want t o have trouble there. all but one egg hatched which is so much better then i have had in recent hatches with other brads. the block did get pretty dirty with hatching debris that fell through the water pan covers. i dont think i would want to use it for another hath. monday i will call them and get it all figured out for the next hatch
I'm pretty sure each block is only supposed to be used once, which is kind of wild due to how expensive they are on the website! But I haven't found them anywhere else for less, or found a good substitute product. That might be one of those "just use some cut up sponges" things on my budget. But let us know what you hear from them next!

Hello! To answer your questions here: The evaporation block should be left in. Its purpose is to raise the humidity, which is especially important for hatching.

The cleaning solution is not sold in the US. It is still mentioned in the manual since all of our products are manufactured in the UK (where the cleaning solution is still sold). We recommend using a bleach solution to clean the incubator and distilled water for the humidity.

Back
Top Bottom