Question About Fowl Pox (pics)

Bird-Whisperer

Songster
Nov 13, 2019
Fallbrook California
Hi everyone! I have a question about pox. We are currently dealing with an outbreak of dry pox in our flock (about 50 birds) that started right when they went into a molt. Feathers are everywhere so I’m pretty sure everyone has been affected to some degree - some much worse than others. I think we’re finally reaching the end of it as most of the birds have recovered, but I have one bantam hen who got hit last and she got it bad. She wasn’t eating much before the pox because she was raising chicks (she kept giving ALL the food to the babies and “forgot” to feed herself!) so she’s really thin and now has lesions all over her head with both of her eyes are sealed shut (pics below). I noticed that the lesions around her beak have sorta spread to the inside of her mouth - would that be considered wet pox? Also, if she does have wet pox and she comes in contact with the flock, would it start another cycle of just wet pox? I read that once they contract lox can’t get it again so I assume they’ll be fine but I do not want to go through this again! Any and all advice is appreciated!
A6A0BEA6-C7FF-4AB5-9EDE-B5B3AF507EF9.jpeg
7259044A-64E8-4BD4-B661-49B19E13DA25.jpeg

The only possibility is see is to treat the eyes with an ophthalmic antibiotic ointment hoping that they may open and tube feeding her until things resolve. She is in rough shape. At this point I would assume that your entire flock has been exposed and have immunity.

The only possibility is see is to treat the eyes with an ophthalmic antibiotic ointment hoping that they may open and tube feeding her until things resolve. She is in rough shape. At this point I would assume that your entire flock has been exposed and have immunity.
Thank you! I didn't think she'd make it because she lost so much weight, but I've been syringe feeding her "liquified" chicken food along with crickets and grubs, and she's slowly recovering :D I'll keep you posted!

How is she doing ?
Thanks for checking in! She still looks pretty awful, but some crusty parts on her face are finally starting to flake off and she's definitely more alert than she has been in a while!

She's still a skeleton with feathers, but she holds her tail up, can perch again, and she even eats pelleted chicken food when I bring it to her beak. I'm still giving her high protein grubs in hopes that she'll start gaining some weight soon.

We did loose one of her chicks this morning. I'm pretty sure she had wet pox because she was struggling to breath yesterday and couldn't close her mouth. But, that's the only one we've lost to the pox and everyone else seems to have overcome it :thumbsup

One more question - I have one chick who had a beak injury and a pox "lump" formed there. It's healing, but she has a slight scissor beak now. Is there anyway to correct that? It doesn't seem to be causing any discomfort and she's sill eating and drinking. Just curious.

IMG_3538.JPG
IMG_3651.JPG

Back
Top Bottom