question about hatching chicks 3 ft off the floor...

needmorechickens!

Songster
11 Years
Jul 2, 2008
West TN
I am "blessed" with several broodies right now. Normally I take all the eggs but I am allowing them to set now. My question is what do you do when the nest box is 3 ft off the ground? How does the hen get them down or do I take them down and then how would they get back to the hen if she is still setting on other eggs?
~Rebecca

Build a ramp with small cleats so they can walk down. When my broody had chicks last year I assumed they would stay in the coop as it's elevated. Nope! No fear, mom jumped down and they followed. Didn't get hurt luckily but was quite the shock they'd do that. I built them a ramp and they'd still only walk part way down then jump. I think if the ramp is wide enough and cleats short enough and in place for their first walk out they'll use it better than mine did.

If you remove some chicks before they all hatch the hen will most like abandon the unhatched eggs to be with the chicks you put on the ground. They will jump down themselves a day or 2 after they hatch. You can put an old blanket, straw, hay or whatever under the nestbox to cushion their fall. Once the chicks & hen leave the nest they won't go back, they'll sleep on the floor in the corner or other sheltered spot.

Back
Top Bottom