Question about hatching Golden Comet eggs

Quote:
is what?
smile.png
You wont get a sex link out of a white plymouth rock roo, you will get a sex link from a white plymouth rock hen crossed to a RIR or a NHR though!
smile.png

Quote:
yes pretty much that's it...but you can also use a Road Island Red (rir) crossed with a White leghorn hen (or a white plymouth rock hen), and call them Golden Comets as well.
smile.png

Some hatcheries call both mixes the same thing it's a hatchery name thing. Many just call them red sexlinks if the roo was a red. and black sexlinks if the hens were barred or cuckoo.
smile.png

Call em what you want if they're sexlinks i say.
big_smile.png

Quote:
yepers that'd be "Golden Sex Link" Could be either a

RIR Roo or a NHR roo used
and any silver hen, or any white hen carring silver for examples white leghorn and white rock.
smile.png

It may all sound confusing to people just learning about it but its' actually pretty simple. Red, to white carring silver, or Red, to barred or cuckoo!
big_smile.png

Names
Red Sex link
Gold Sex link
Black Sex link
Golden Comet

And there may be more names but those are hte ones I personally know of

Yes Red Rooster X White hen = white rooster chicks and red(golden) hen chicks.

For roosters chicks to be heavy for butcher. Use white rock hen.
The red star rooster are smaller with not much meat.

The color is what makes the sex-link.

White rock, brown eggs.
White leghorns ,white eggs.

Quote:
yepers that'd be "Golden Sex Link" Could be either a

RIR Roo or a NHR roo used
and any silver hen, or any white hen carring silver for examples white leghorn and white rock.
smile.png

It may all sound confusing to people just learning about it but its' actually pretty simple. Red, to white carring silver, or Red, to barred or cuckoo!
big_smile.png

Names
Red Sex link
Gold Sex link
Black Sex link
Golden Comet

And there may be more names but those are hte ones I personally know of

Thanks for the info...

I have an RIR roo and 2 leghorn hens. I think that I will have to lock them all three together for a while and then hatch some more young-ins in the spring! I also like the fact that you can tell the roosters from the pullets by color. This is obvious now to me with our hatchings that we had in October. He dad was "Rusty" (a mutt) and the moms were leghorns. Both babies are white and both are dinner... um, I mean roosters.

Back
Top Bottom