Question about hatching

chickengal

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Why is it that my first egg to hatch went from pip to hatching in about 1 1/2 and the others piped and have made no progress in 7 hours? The first to hatch is a perfect chick and came out so quickly. After it hatched, I was worried that it would get into the water bowls and drown, so I took them out and put in wet paper towels. We went to dinner and when I came back the humidity was up to 85-90%. I took most of the paper towels out. Do you think the chicks had time to drown with the humidity being so high. There are still lots of eggs with now pips. I am probably just impatient!

wow it's a toss up as I can see. I would be concerned about the humidity because you don't know how long it was that high. Imagining that you put damp paper towels in there probably awhile, not long after you put them in. Now as for the pipping, on our last hatch our last egg to pip did so one day late, and it took her 39 hours to zip! Chicks can last in the bator for up to 3 days on the yolk, so they will be fine. When they hatch they like to rearrange the bator to suit their style, so just be patient and let them.

but whatever you do.....

DON'T OPEN THE INCUBATOR ANYMORE!
barnie.gif
That's bad ju ju, and can kill your babies.
sad.png

Otherwise, good luck and be patient! GOOD LUCK!
thumbsup.gif

Sit on your hands and don't open the incubator any more. When you open the bator you change the whole environment of CO2 and O2 ratio that you have been building during lock down to help with hatching. I can tell you I have had them pip and zip in 1.5 hours or as long as 18 hours. They each take there own time. I dont think they probably drowned in that short of time. I know it is hard to be patient especially when you see that they are coming and then wait and wait and wait to make there debut.

Back
Top Bottom