Question about my doe's behavior

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
Hey bunny buddies. So on Friday (3 days ago) I bred my rabbits, Maple and Hops (Amchin) . Maple (NZ) has been a rock solid mom for me. So anyway friday hops gets a good fall off and I assume all is well. Then this morning I give everyone their handful of hay and Maple immediately starts haystacheing and nest building. Uhhh, scuse me girl, it is day 3! lol She is just moving hay around, not pulling hair.

Am I right in thinking this is just her hormones surging, because her pregnancy is starting? Her cage is adjacent to another female and her 4 week old babies, so no risk of "doing it through the bars". Has anyone else's rabbit done this? If so, did they chill after a couple days and have a normal pregnancy? Should I give her a nest box now, let her build it, and then just save it for the birth if she forgets about it in a couple days?

Appreciate any advice

Omw!! That's hilarious! How long is the New Zealand pregnancy? They are a bigger rabbit... 30 days, right? I'd just watch her close, there's no way she's almost due 🤣🤣

If she was, I didn't notice it. Today was definitely the first day she did the nesting behavior in front of me with the hay. I give them hay and spend a few mins with them every morn.

Thanks for the reply
Any chance she was starting a false pregnancy before she was bred?

Back
Top Bottom