Question about my Rooster buried in my Intro. :)

mdkrush

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 20, 2013
North Georgia
Hello,

I am Rob from North Georgia.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes, when I was a kid we had chicken houses, but this is different.
I got 6 hens about three months ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

7, 6 hens and a rooster.

(3) What breeds do you have?
4 Australorp/buff orpington's [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hens
[/FONT]Ameraucana[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] /EE Hen
[/FONT]Ameraucana[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]/Game fowl[/FONT] Hen (currently broody, siting on RIR eggs)
1 Supposed to be Amerucauna Rosster but actually EE.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Every time I would google a question about my birds, I would find most answers on this site.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I do computer stuff.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I am married and have 4 daughters, I suppose a boy was not in the mix. My youngest is 3 weeks old, and oldest is 10 going on 18 (she thinks).

I have a question about my Rooster (Jack). Ok, he is pretty big and obviously a rooster. I got him from a guy down the road that has a lot of different full breed of chickens. He sold him to me as an Ameraucana but he is obviously not (which is ok by me, I like him).

He is supposed to be 19 weeks old, he is very afraid of the hens, all they have to do is look at him and he dips his head and bolts...
He spends most of his time sitting on the roost's and only gets down for a few min each day. I have only had him for about 4 days now, but yesterday I let all of them out to the yard (which I normally do when I get home) and he wouldn't come out. I did go in and bring him out and he ate some grass and then went back into the coop and hopped back onto the roost. He doesn't attempt to crow and he is sooo timid... I am worried that he won't "Rooster UP"... Should I be worried?

Jack

5 Hens.

Hazel sitting on some eggs. :)

Last edited:
I'd probably give him some more time for his hormones to kick in. He may well have some slow maturing genes in him, as true Ameraucanas are on the slow to mature side.

Hi and welcome to BYC form northern Michigan
big_smile.png

I agree, no need to be concerned yet - he will very likely "man up" when he gets a little older. Ams tend to be shy and not very aggressive birds.

welcome-byc.gif
maybe you could make a temporary wire partition in the run, so he is safe on one side and they are on the other. This way he could meet them through the fence and feel safer.

Welcome to the site! I'd say as long as he is eating and drinking alright then just give him more time. You live with 5 girls and he lives with 6, even as a female I can still admit I feel for both of you
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom