Question about new Layer's Egg

swmalone

Songster
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Northern Utah
I have a chicken that has laid two eggs. I believe it is my buff orpington. Today I found the egg and it was wet on the outside with what appeared to a watered down yolk like substance. I wiped it off before I thought to take a picture. I was just hoping nothing is wrong with one of my birds. They all seem to be pretty active still and I would prefer not to go playing around with their vents if I don't have too.

Any ideas or thoughts?

I wouldn't be too worried - new egg layers can lay some unusual eggs at first, like egg shells that are not fully formed. You don't need to go poking around her vent, just keep an eye one her and she will get into a more normal egg laying routine soon hopefully.

Thanks, this is just my second chicken to start laying. I have had a black sex link laying for a couple of weeks now. She started out with an odd soft shelled, two eggs connected thing then got into a pretty good pattern, but hers were never wet like that. This new layer laid a torpedo looking thing yesterday then a regular looking egg today just wet on the outside. I will keep an eye on them, what should I be looking for if something is wrong?

I had a BR that layed double eggs twice when she first started. One of my RIR layed an egg with no shell.
sickbyc.gif
I still suspect one of my neighbors was messing with me!

Back
Top Bottom