question about Nigerian Dwarf color genetics

Chicken5555

Songster
Apr 10, 2016
somewhere in the Southern USA
- I have twin ND does that I bought from someone. Their father is black and white like a cow. What is that, piebald? He was born polled. Their mother is light Buckskin with white patches and has horns.
- One of the twin does is polled and light buckskin with white patches, the other has horns and has black and white patches.
- I have an unrelated Buckskin male.
- The buckskin twin doe is pregnant and the timing tells me that her father impregnated her.
- I believe that the black and white twin (who does have horns) may be pregnant. If so, the timing means that either her father or my buckskin male could have been the father.

Now to my question... How will I know which buck is the father of the black and white goat's kids? Is there a genetic trait (either dominant or recessive) that will point undoubtedly to one buck or the other? Any input regarding their genetics and/or their markings/colors would be great. Thanks.

A few pictures for reference....

The twins' mother

The twins' father

Polled Twin

Black and white twin with horns (sorry it's not the greatest picture)

My unrelated male (this was when he was still pretty young, back when he'd actually be still for a picture) Edited to add: A good bit of the tan on his back half has filled in with black. You can see that in the background of the polled twin's picture.

Last edited:
Okay so I just read that polled is a dominant trait. So, if any of the black and white's kids are born polled then I know for sure that her polled father is the father of her kids. Is that correct?

I also read that blue eye color is dominant in goats. The twins are both blue eyed and their mother was brown eyed, so both does carry a gene for blue and a gene for brown eyes. So if any of the kids born have brown eyes then can I say for sure that my buck is the father of the twin doe's kids?

Polled to polled breeding can produce hermaphrodites, so it's not recommended to breed the two. I am no expert in genetics so I can't comment on what colors will be thrown. From my past breeding it did seem like polled was dominant, and blue eyes were recessive, but I could be totally wrong. Nice looking goats.

@oldhenlikesdogs The guy I bought the twins from kept them with their mother, father, another doe and their half-sibling. Oh, I hope her kids are born without any problems. I can get over one case of 'line breeding', but I don't think I'd be the least bit happy about a hermaphrodite goat. Sorry.

I have occasionally crossed father and daughter, they were okay and crosses like that can set traits in a line like blue eyes or a certain color. From what I understand not every poll to poll breeding will produce a hermaphrodite, and some say it's not proven, but it's what I've always read.

Here's a link to some genetic information if you can follow it.
http://www.hasitall.com/genetics/

I have occasionally crossed father and daughter, they were okay and crosses like that can set traits in a line like blue eyes or a certain color. From what I understand not every poll to poll breeding will produce a hermaphrodite, and some say it's not proven, but it's what I've always read.

Here's a link to some genetic information if you can follow it.
http://www.hasitall.com/genetics/

Thank you for that reassurance. I'll check out that website and see if I can make heads or tails of it lol.

Back
Top Bottom