Question about oxine, please help

wonderment

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2017
I bought Oxine in Canada, and mixed the soluttion with water, inactivated oxine. I just wondered how long is it good for?
If you mix it and put it in a sprayer bottle as a disinfectant to be used later, does it expire after like 10 days? or it is good as long I use it.

I mixed it a week ago and I am due cleaning my house today (where i had pigeons and droppings) I wonder if the mixed solution is still good. or I need to make a fresh batch.

Please let me know..

Thank you. I couldnt find the specific answer I was looking for. I am gonna bump this again!

Hi, I couldn't find a set time-frame for the shelf life of Oxine (inactivated), but your just mixed batch should be fine. It's designed for a long-term use as a bacteriostat and totally soluble in water so should last for quite some time. You could also contact the manufacturer, http://www.bio-cide.com/oxine/.

Thank you for the response. I also posted in Chemistry forums, and found out. Apparently Oxine (aka hydroxyquinoline) lasts longer even after you sprayed, maybe even a year. The chemist suggested if you don't know how to activate it (preferred for cleaning, killing anything it comes in contact with) I can get another sprayer bottle and mix it with the sodium citrate solution same appropriate (diluted) concentration with water, and simply spray again on anything I disinfected using inactivated oxine mix I had already sprayed on. That way it will get activated without emiting anything major and kill the fungi and bacteria.

I don't know if I wanna do that because I don't have a balcony and all my windows are closed shut due to the cold weather. I hope this information helps someone that is gonna look for Oxine uses in the future.

Thanks again for your response.

You're most welcome! I chose not to use the activated version because I was using it for both a cleaning agent and a mist inside the coop and research indicated the activated version wasn't safe for chickens' respiratory systems in that form. I also use it once in a while in the waterer, it definitely helps keep the "slime" from occurring (which happens even when I change the water every few days) .

Makes sense. Is it possible to mist using the sprayer bottle? If I can spray a few mist clouds using the spraying bottles, is that enough for the pigeons when they get a sniffle? Or you have some kind of mist generator that automatically keeps misting the area for the birds like the vegetable sections in grocery stores?

Back
Top Bottom