Question about run floor/surface for Geese

Frogdogtimestwo

Songster
13 Years
May 21, 2008
I have a long run for my future Sebastopol geese already made the problem is that I live in an area with NO GRASS, what do you recommend that I put down in the run so they do not destroy their feathers and wallow in mud all day??? I considered fake lawn grass but I am afraid they will eat the plastic blades, I am leaning towards peagravel or sand but I am worried that they are not soft enough, opinions PLEASE.
Thank you in advance!

Firstly, where do you live that there is no grass?

Secondly, I think that sand is a good run choice. I've heard a lot of people use it for ducks. Mine just run all over my yard pooping all day.... and I do think your goose would eat plastic grass... yuck.

I live in the desert, grass is a luxury and expensive to water.

*eta this is what my yard looks like, not much to munch on.
10773_100_2814.jpg

Last edited:
and your dog looks a little bit like a frog.. bulldog? very cute! I think you could probably just use the ground you have, clear out any prickly things, and put a pile of straw in a corner (in the shade) so they can lie on that if they want. Rake out the poo when it gets bad, and maybe grow them some sprouts (wheatgrass, alfalfa, etc.) for 'grazing'... (you could grow them inside)...

Thanks, he is a French Bulldog and my absolute baby.
I may just do that, do you think peagravel or sand would be to hot or rough on their feet. Their pen will be covered in 80 percent UV sunblock shade cloth. My biggest concern with leaving the dirt is that it is RED and they will look like crap all the time.

I live in the desert too (high desert). I have not had any problem with mud with the waterfowl that I have had. Isn't your soil sand based anyway? I did put a little sod in my front yard with hopes to let the geese have a little time on grass. I don't know how long it will last. Last time I tryed grass it died within a few months. I have alot of native evergreens that I am using for shade. My goose and duck pen will be fenced and goose house built around them. That will make them double fenced in from preditors and locked in at night.

Yes our soil is sand based but RED, I just wanted them to be cleaner and more comfortable. Shaving will be in their new "tractor" coop and they will be free ranging during the day with our guard donkey. All pens at my house have electric fencing around, we have lots of predators who are watching and waiting at night but we have not had any losses since getting our little defender of evil aka donkey.
I tried grass at our place too, it did not make it a month, I really love a green lawn but it's just not realistic where I live.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom