question about talking to the post office...

Quote:
Actually, marking it "eggs" is the more effective way to get safer handling. Insured parcels travel right along with the uninsured, and are handled according to their size and shape. Smaller packages, insured or not, tend to travel in sacks that will be tossed, jostled, have other sacks piled on top of them and be compacted as the truck carrying them over the road crosses bumps. Parcels of any size are apt to be handled in mechanized sorting systems which usually involves a drop into a sack or bin at each stage. Which may do no harm at all to a properly packaged collector's mug, say bought on ebay.

A parcel marked as containing eggs is much more apt to be kept out of sacks, and away from the machinery,and get better handling. More than once, when I was with them, we had someone send a birthday cake in the cellophane-windowed box that it came in from the bakery. They'd put an address and postage on it. We'd get it to the airport with the other mail, but hand it off to one of the ground crew. The typical drill was they would hand it off to the cabin crew, who in turn would relay it to the ground crew at the right stop . . . and so on until it got there.

No extra charge.

Up here in Alaska we have whats called the General Mail Facility (GMF) my last batch of chicks I got a call at 6:30am from the GMF telling me the chicks were here, come get them. He was also nice enough to tell me if there were people in line, go straight to the front of the line, tell the employee you're there for chicks and they'll take you right away. I think the PO wants to get them out of there as bad as we want to get them. As I walked through the door I could hear them chirping, PO had them in the back under a heater to keep them warm. (it was early April here, still sort of chilly for chicks)

Good luck with the new fuzzy butts
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom