Question about ventilation in coop - windows are frosting up and some birds have frostbite.

eje99

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
Like many of you, I'm struggling with these cold temps. I have a roo with frostbite on his comb, and a few girls with some discoloration. I have 15 birds in a 6x8 coop. It is draft free, and there is venting at the eaves, with a hip style roof and a functional cupola. There are single pane windows, that do have frost on them. I do not keep food or water in the coop, only the enclosed run. I use a droppings board and remove the droppings daily. I've been monitoring the temp and humidity - the temps are running between 10 at night and 20-25 during the day in the coop, where the outside temps are around 0 or below. The humidity in the coop is around 55%, which I've read should be ok. They have a large run which is covered and wrapped with plastic and corrugated roof panels, so it is dry and free from drafts. The pop door is closed at night, automatically. I have added a flat radiant heat panel to the coop (Cozy Coop). I'm really worried because we are headed out of town for a week and wont be able to monitor the birds - and it will be even colder when we're gone. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Use vaseline to help prevent frostbite but you need more ventilation. 1 square foot of space per bird. My coop has enough and I've had only frostbite on chicks in -40° weather. Good luck :)

Hi Welshies - thanks for the quick response! I read about the ventilation on here, and I thought that since my cupola and vents provide more of an "active" ventilation, it did not require the same 1 sf per bird, that's why I started measuring the humidity levels. If they're hanging around 50% or so and that's too high, what should I be shooting for?

I'm by no means an expert but my thought would be to try to turn off the radiant heater and see if that makes a difference. I know they're not supposed to put out much heat but I'm surprised your coop is 20+ degrees warmer than the outdoor air temp-to me that suggests that there is either not enough air flow or your heater is putting off a lot of heat. The birds will not be bothered by temps of zero or below. They will be bothered by the moisture content of the air, however. Just a thought.

I'm of the mindset that bag balm, vasoline, etc on the comb isn't helpful but you'll find opinions all over the map on that one.

Hi Welshies - thanks for the quick response! I read about the ventilation on here, and I thought that since my cupola and vents provide more of an "active" ventilation, it did not require the same 1 sf per bird, that's why I started measuring the humidity levels. If they're hanging around 50% or so and that's too high, what should I be shooting for?
Do you feed them hot foods or steaming hot water?

If your windows are frosting up, there is too much moisture. I would try to get more airflow through there. I usually leave my pop door open until it's about -10 or colder. I believe the fresh air comes in through there and helps push the moisture out the top. I could be wrong, but it works for me. I've never measured temp or humidity in my coops. Just watch my birds and see how they're doing. Sometimes I think it can be too easy to focus on the numbers and how our chickens "should" be doing than to observe our birds and see how they're really doing.

So it sounds like I need more ventilation. I've opened a window a bit - the window is well above roost height, and on the opposite side of the coop, so I don't think it will create a draft, but should facilitate more airflow up and out through the cupola. Here's hoping, anyway! I will plan to add some soffit vents, I just can't do that at this time. Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom