Question about windows in the coop

DreamsInPink

Songster
5 Years
Feb 25, 2016
Salt Fork Lake Region, Ohio
I'm wondering if I need to have actual windows in the coop as well as all the ventilation up by the roof. One main window I wanted to add will be on the south west side.. so it will be the warmest side in the afternoons. Good in winter, bad in summer. But, I'm also planning on putting shutters on it... if I did that, it should be fine right? So I can close the shutters in the afternoon in the summers to prevent it from getting too hot... and keep them open in the winter to allow sun inside the coop.

Am I on the right track??

I had also asked in another thread of mine about pop door placement in relation to the nesting boxes... will it hurt anything to put the pop door on the opposite wall of the coop, right across from the nesting boxes?? I didn't figure it would hurt anything in the summer, but what about in cold weather?

I don't see any problem with the pocket door directly across from the nest boxes, that's where mine is. The wind will not blow in it where it is placed. Here are a couple of really bad pictures :) of my coupe, I prefer the look of the wooden window propped open but the big windows in the front were cheap. They just slide open. The big windows face east.

I don't see any problem with the pocket door directly across from the nest boxes, that's where mine is. The wind will not blow in it where it is placed. Here are a couple of really bad pictures :) of my coupe, I prefer the look of the wooden window propped open but the big windows in the front were cheap. They just slide open. The big windows face east.

Thank you.. I'm hoping the pop door won't bother them when they are nesting.. if so, I can add burlap curtains to help. They might like that anyway, more private.

I like your windows.. all of them. I'm going to have different styles too.. but that's ok. :) I will have some windows on the east side for light mainly in the winter... I'm just excited to get some more windows in. We only have one right now.. a little one on the SE side.

My chickens have only been in this group since Friday and I've only had one egg laid out in the run. So they seem to be figuring it out and I know they're not bothered by the door. I only have two nest boxes, they are 18 inches wide each. And so far I've gotten more eggs laid in the one directly across from the door then the one beside it. I like the windows on the east also, good morning light and the window on the south is actually tinted, that should help in the summer even though it will also be open all day and night in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom