Question Concerning Shipping & Handling Of Eggs

Gatekeeper

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Louisiana
For years I have fooled around with raising just about any kind of fowl imaginable. I have done my best to read all the reliable information I could find on the subject; from hatching to rearing birds.

Recently when I have ordered egg online; I have come across shipping practices that I was always taught were taboo. Now before I go any more into this, I am not pointing the finger at anyone in particular. In fact I am not pointing my finger at all. I just simply and sincerely want to know if information I have thought was "correct" is no longer - correct.

Things change, people find innovative and practical ways to do thing everyday. I want to be progressive and not regressive, so now I ask.

These events took place from several different shippers not one specific person.

1) Eggs were shipped upside down - pointed end was up.
I was told that this affects the air sac in the egg. The shipper said they do this all the time and it has no affect on hatch.

2) Eggs I received were dated up to 21-23 days old.
I thought eggs fertility rate drops after 7-10 days. The shipper said they hatch eggs older than 21 days all the time.

3) I paid with Paypal and was told my eggs would be shipped on a certain date. The date came and passed, no eggs. I contacted the seller they said that production had been down and that I would be receiving my order in two weeks. The two weeks passed - no eggs.

On the third time contacting the seller (all times I had to contact them they never once contacted me) they said my eggs were not shipped for various reasons and would be shipped the following Monday but that I needed to PP an additional $8 due to price increases in their eggs.

I asked them nicely to cancel my order and they said they would but there would be some type of "production charge - a restocking fee" LOL I NICELY asked, "How do you restock eggs?" Secondly, how do you restock eggs that havent been laid?" LOL

Again I am not accusing anyone of anything. I just want to get with the program and practices of fertile eggs.

Thanks
Gate

Last edited:
my answer to all of your questions: don't buy from that seller again. sounds like they are trying to get some more money out of you when they can before they ship the eggs.

i wouldn't ever buy from someone with old eggs, nor from anyone who shipped them pointy-end down. i'm not criticizing, just telling you what my preferences are. hope I've been some help. sorry to hear about the eggs
hmm.png

Truthfully.....I'd stop my initial payment if possible.
Then never deal with them again. Simply bad business practices all way round.
Guess I don't have to tell you that.
big_smile.png

Mags that was a thought but you have to remember payment was sent way before the third delay. That was probably 5 weeks later, payment was already sent.

:-S

Gate

First, I have myself saved eggs that were over 2-3 weeks old and they hatched just fine. But I would never ever save eggs that long to ship. Eggs should be 2-3 days old at most, when shipping.

Now, that person who wanted to charge you a restocking fee, that just is not right at all. And the additional increase charge! How ridiculious!

Last edited:
Whoa!
ep.gif
Im sorry that happened to you. Some people!
hu.gif
What are they thinking. (Additional price increase $8.00)The nerve!
Dont ever buy from them again. I guess the money is gone but at least youll know who NOT to buy from next time.

Quote:
I agree file a dispute. Also I would leave at best neutral feedback ( I would leave negative if they don't give you a full refund).
As far as pointy end up or down with the way the packages are handled through the PO I am not sure it really matters what end is up.

Back
Top Bottom