Question for Central Texas members

TXKukupantsKoop

Songster
Mar 16, 2022
Central Texas
This will be my first winter with chickens. I have ten 6 month old RIRs.

Their coop is a 12x16 converted Tuff Shed that has a loft (they have no access to the loft). The attached run is 12x16 and is covered in 1/2 inch wire cloth and has a roof over the top. The loft area has a big window that is open 24/7 (covered in wire) along with about 24 - 4inch drilled holes with pvc and screen covering them on the north and south ends up at the roof level for cross breeze. I also keep a big fan in the loft that circulates air during the day.

On the chicken level, windows all around that can be open and closed depending on the rainy weather.

My question is this - given that winters here are typically not that bad (except the Snowpocalypse this past year), is there anything that I need to do to winterize?

Can I keep the windows open at night if it's in the 30s or 40s or lower?

I know the birds have their feathers for warmth and the coop is huge and dry. I clean it daily to keep 99% of the poop out. I'm putting my human temperature reading into play because I know I get cold! Lol!

That's what I figured but it's so nice to get advice from those that have the experience. Thank you!

Attachments

• 20221025_144729_HDR.jpg
    20221025_144729_HDR.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 2
Will be down to -10 with wind chill on Friday. This is not the norm. I've got the north and west sides of the run covered and the east side is the coop wall. I also have bales of straw in a C shape in the run if there's any draft. The coop windows will be closed if they want to go in during the day for relief...I have a light in there since its dark with the windows closed. I plan on putting bedding down in the run Thursday night so their feet will be warmer on Friday.

Anything else or am I being paranoid? 😆

Will be down to -10 with wind chill on Friday. This is not the norm. I've got the north and west sides of the run covered and the east side is the coop wall. I also have bales of straw in a C shape in the run if there's any draft. The coop windows will be closed if they want to go in during the day for relief...I have a light in there since its dark with the windows closed. I plan on putting bedding down in the run Thursday night so their feet will be warmer on Friday.

I'm in Houston. I will not be doing a thing to my open air coop.

I wouldn't worry or do anything more than you've already done. They will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom