Question for those with Brinsea ECO Glow

nab58

Songster
6 Years
Mar 28, 2013
CT
I'm using the ECO glow 20 for the first time.

I'm concerned that my day old chicks are not coming out from under it to eat and drink. They pop out and then run back in.

Also, it seems like they have to stand up to be warm. As soon as they rest on their haunches they stand back up again as if they get cold. I have it set on the lowest to the ground setting.

I'm almost ready to go back to mt heat lamp. I don't like not knowing what's going on under there!

Any comments or words of encouragement? Everyone seems to love theirs.

Yes: Stop worrying. You can build up some shavings under it if you want. They'll dig it out to the right height for them. You can also tip it up one side so they can self regulate their spot. They'll spend almost all their time under it for a couple of days (While they're still absorbing their yolk and don't really need food or water), and then they'll start roaming about more and just darting under it to warm up and nap. I raised mine with one last October and they all did GREAT!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for relaying your experience.

I love not having to worry about fire hazard or the electricity being used.

I had an unusual thing happen this morning. I was so glad I found it before I left for work.

I thought I'd get smart and put a paper towel under the heater to make clean up easy (I'm using puppy pads not shavings in the rest of the brooder.
The paper towel shifted and a corner went into the waterer. It wicked the water out and I found the entire paper towel sopping wet and cold. The poor little chicks were on it because it was under the heater. I don't know how long it had been like that but I felt awful for the chicks. They appear to be fine this evening.

Mine spend most of their time under the brooder for the first few days and I use wood shavings to raise the floor level for quail chicks. My chicken chicks don't need the floor level raising as the lowest setting seems to be the right one for them.

Personally I prefer the electric hens to the heat lamps.

Back
Top Bottom