Question from newibe...

catlvr976

Chirping
13 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Near Meadville, Pa
I'm nowhere close to having eggs yet (will be getting chicks next week), but I was wondering, what exactly do the hens do when they lay an egg? How do they act? Does the act of laying an egg seem to cause them discomfort? Can you be around them when they lay? I know these are odd questions, but I am really curious about this.
Thanks in advance!
Jessica

catlvr.....I have been in the coop several times when my girls lay. Usually, they just hop into the nest...lay there for a few minutes...and then stand in a squating position, and PLOP! Now my younger hens, will cackle afterwards...but most will just hope dow, like whew! Done! then go and eat. It doesnt seem to be very uncomfortable...it is after all, natural! Enjoy your babies....and let us know when you get yours! We of course will want pics!

That pretty much sums it up! I've watched mine lay a few times. They lay for a bit, stand up, squat, plop the egg out, turn around and look at it, give the "Get me out of this coop" look and take off outside.
I have one hen that will sqwack about her egg laying... I'm not sure if she wants a "Congrats" or what.
jumpy.gif

Each of our 17 girls has a different personality, and it is really noticeable when they are laying eggs. I had just quit my job when they started laying eggs in November, so I was able to watch them lay their first eggs and get pictures and measurements. I still keep an egg journal. Our Silver Lakenvelder was the first to lay in our flock, but our Golden Laced Wyandotte has layed the most eggs to date.

Our Silver Lakenvelder is usually a quiet girl, but is somewhat flighty. She runs through the nest boxes (we have 8!) like a crazy woman running an obstacle course until she picks the perfect one in which to lay her egg (it's always a different box). Until she finds the perfect box, she squawks loudly. She will lay an egg between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Our Golden Laced Wyandotte likes to lay her egg first thing in the morning and no later than 10 a.m. She has 2 favorite nest boxes and uses one of them every time. She is our quietest bird, she quietly chirps before and after laying and if anyone disturbs her in the nest box.

Our other Wyandottes - a Silver Laced, a Columbian and a White - lay their eggs between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. and aren't particular about which box they use. The Silver Laced Wyandote squawks loudly until she gets settled in the nest but the White sneaks into a nest box but is very noisy after she lays an egg.

Our Rhode Island Red, Barred Plymouth Rock, Jersey Black Giant and Silver Spangled Hamburg jump in a box, get settled and lay an egg 15 minutes later. They sit for a few moments before jumping out to get some water or feed or go outdoors. They all like to lay eggs in the afternoon. Of this group, only the Rhode Island Red and Jersey Black Giant like to loudly announce they've laid an egg.

Most of our girls get a "constipated" look on their face when laying, especially if they skipped a day or two before and they're laying a double yolker.

I'm not going to tell you about all our girls, but I think this little bit gives you an idea that each one is different in their own way.

I have two Buff Orpingtons that are quiet layers. One of them is prone to broodiness. The two RIR/BO crosses like to announce their work. Sometimes the Barred Rock hen will join in to make it a squawk serenade. When two or three get going its something to hear. It usually doesn't last long though. Hows hens react to laying will vary and that's part of the fun and, for me, the facination of it.

most hens will cackle after laying their egg.an some aree quiet about it.sometimes i hear a bunch of the hens cackling for no reason.an they can get loud lolol.

Back
Top Bottom