Question in reference to bantam breeds

jbowyer01

Just Me!
14 Years
Aug 29, 2008
Hogansville, Georgia
I currently have 7 wonderful bantams. Some are barred rocks and some are cochins all of course are brown egg layers. I was wondering if anybody has ever heard or seen a bantam breed that lays green or blue eggs? I tried doing a search for the info but I'm obviously not searching correctly because I can not for the life of me find one. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
A true pure bred Araucana and Ameraucana will lay a blue egg. Most pure bred breeders are working towards this. The easter egger breeds are all mixes and may have the gene for the blue egg, but because they are mixes the colors range from brown to green and some times almost a shade of pink. If you want to get bantams that lay a true blue egg, I would suggest looking up the Ameracauna breeders club, or the Araucana club of America.

David

Oh Thank you! I had read about EE's and Ameraucanas but did not know that they came in bantam size. I thought only full size and thaought they would be mixed breed. Once again BYC comes to the rescue.

EEs are a mix breed, lays other colors as well as blue, but the Ams and the Aras are pure breed blue eggers. You won't get pure Ams or Aras from hatcheries, they are all EE. But like the other poster said, if you go to the two breeder sites and buy from actual breeders you'll get pures.

Back
Top Bottom