Question of the Day - Tuesday, April 16th, 2024

Ha! Yeah, that all is in America too, ya know. I was raised in a pocket of America that speaks a European dialect that no longer exists in Europe. Linguists from their country came here to interview us to rediscover their roots. American Indians, Orthodox Jews, Muslim communities, Korean enclaves, southern Baptists, Polish Catholics, Amish, Hindus, Wiccans, Creole, Black communities, Hispanic communities, Samoans, Inuit, hillbillies, yuppies, rich, poor . . . That's not even getting into the land: tundra, temperate forest, desert, plains, subtropical wilderness, mountain ranges, canyons, sand dunes, beaches, extinct and active volcanoes, Pacific Islands, etc., all for the low low price of exploring my own country, with enough new to see, hear, and do that I'd need several lifetimes to explore it all before even thinking about needing to go to another country to find something new. Most people don't even bother exploring everything in their own state, let alone country. The fact that other folks can't always see the incalculable variety in their own backyards is of no concern or interest to me.

Fair point!

most countries at this point have people and cultures from all around the world living within their borders. The majority of those have been assimilated (to an extent) the culture of the country they are in. Greek American food tastes very different to "authentic" Greek food, for example. I feel like visiting another country is when I can truly get a feel for another culture. I may be able to speak English, or have close friends from other ethnicities, but I can't say I know the ins and outs of their culture.

I hope I don't come off as rude; all this is my personal opinion as a European, whose culture heavily encourages traveling. The US is a very different place than what we have here in Europe. I cannot fathom how vast, and diverse it is; its vastness alone may be enough for diversity to stay, well...diverse. Not as easy to do here. I'm totally with you on finding the beauty within our countries first

I am interested though, what's that European dialect no longer spoken in Europe:pop?

Fair point!

most countries at this point have people and cultures from all around the world living within their borders. The majority of those have been assimilated (to an extent) the culture of the country they are in. Greek American food tastes very different to "authentic" Greek food, for example. I feel like visiting another country is when I can truly get a feel for another culture. I may be able to speak English, or have close friends from other ethnicities, but I can't say I know the ins and outs of their culture.

I hope I don't come off as rude; all this is my personal opinion as a European, whose culture heavily encourages traveling. The US is a very different place than what we have here in Europe. I cannot fathom how vast, and diverse it is; its vastness alone may be enough for diversity to stay, well...diverse. Not as easy to do here. I'm totally with you on finding the beauty within our countries first

I am interested though, what's that European dialect no longer spoken in Europe:pop?

It had its origins in Poland. The mountains kinda isolated the people enough that their language detached fairly significantly from the rest of Poland, but the world wars wiped it out. The Scientists visited back when I was school aged, and that's most of what I remember them telling us of their purpose - that and how they spent hours upon hours holed up with my older relatives - mostly my great grandmother - with all sorts of different recording devices. They'd have her tell stories, and they'd often have her repeat the same words or sentences over and over again. It all seemed really tedious to me at the time.

Yeah, it makes sense for Europeans to have a traveling culture. Europeans traveling to different countries often requires nothing more than a train ride, which probably makes the concept of traveling a different ball game. From where I lived in Texas for much of my adult life, if I wanted to get out of the state I'd have to drive for at least 8 hours to hit the closest border. Back then I was also more open to air travel; I've since vowed to never set foot on a plane. As soon as anyone develops fool-proof instant teleportation, I promise I'll revisit my antipathy towards travel!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom