Question on the bucket feed system (DIY)

@Gimpy Quail - Take a look at the video I posted above. If you reverse your feed pipes, that might be all you need.
Here's a side view. We actually did not cut off one end. We used a 90 degree elbow as is. We put a piece of 3" pipe inside the expanded portion to bridge the opening. Then a part of a connector fitting on the outside to pinch it to the wall.

(We had cut it at the blue line to fit the connector tighter to the tub.)

Attachments

• feeder 3 lo res.jpg
    feeder 3 lo res.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 2
  • feeder 4 lo res.jpg
    feeder 4 lo res.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 0
  • feeder 5 lo res.jpg
    feeder 5 lo res.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Okay I have one of these I made last month when pullets were about 12 weeks old. I really like it. Holds a lot. They do still spill a little and I saw my first mouse yesterday. (They killed it but it escaped the fence before they ate it. And I stepped in it. Barefoot. 🤢)

The general setup looks good. I would personally cut about half (but not all) of the expanded section at the bottom of the elbow. Having to reach in prevents the vast majority of feed waste. The length of the pipe pointing down makes it harder for the feed to spill into the spot where the chickens want to feed.
We took your advice and cut half the expanded section that is inside the box.

Attachments

• feeder 6 lo res.jpg
    feeder 6 lo res.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 1
  • feeder in place lo res.jpg
    feeder in place lo res.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 2
Nice. Fill it and see how they do. It might be kinda high for them on top of that block. If so, just put it on some smaller bricks.
I wondered about that height after I took that first pic. Hard to tell, but in the 2nd pic, I switched to a different block that wasn't quite as high. Still not sure if it will be too high, but will check it once I get the chickens. Thank you.
Guess it's time to buy some feed! :clap

Nice. Fill it and see how they do. It might be kinda high for them on top of that block. If so, just put it on some smaller bricks.
I made a couple of the diy feeders and have them I smaller red bricks and they have worked great, I used the inserts that I bought off Amazon. I did make two pvc pipe feeders that are about 3ft long and have the elbows that curve up, not to satisfied with them because my husband added a piece of elbow to the ends to go with what I had on because they were flinging some of the feed so now the gravity element of it does not work right for the feed to come down on it’s own. I wish he wouldn’t”help” me. He doesn’t have any interest in the chickens really.

Back
Top Bottom