Question re: Waterglassing eggs, etc?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
Greetings to fellow duck factioneers, and even to the chicken tribals!

So I wanted to ask...

When I watch Youtube videos on waterglassing eggs, they mostly talk about doing them stored in buckets with the water and lime solution. But I realized when watching them, that none of the videos I'd seen (which was many) specified if you should have the lid on the bucket sealed tight or if it even mattered? In food preservation oxygen is seen as the enemy also. So I'm thinking even if the recipe worked either way there also might be a difference in how long they last, and taste, on whether or not the lids are on it tight or not? And should there be small holes in a lid also if its on tight?

And curious what you think about how long waterglassing eggs can be stored for, without having the taste become funny? (The reason I ask this is that I see 2 different times quoted for how long you can store waterglassed eggs. Some people are quoting up to 2 years, and some people are saying 8 months to a year. Why is it so different?)

And then on pickling eggs, and pickling other things, I've had people say they have to store their pickling jars in the fridge? And I don't understand why. Plus, some people, one of my friends is in this category, their lids pop up and out after making pickles and after they've been in the fridge a few weeks. I don't understand why this would happen either, and how to solve it?

Is there a best simple approach to pickling eggs for beginners too?

I haven't done this kind of stuff yet. But it makes sense to me that food production is really only half the battle. In order to really preserve even up to half the food you grow from your gardens or poultry, there has to be an effort to also learn how to store and preserve it. This will particularly be the case, now that we're seeing the stores are 'unreliable'. And I would say that stores are definitely unreliable now, but more so from the CEOs and wealthy being so greedy and unpredictable that they make every mole hill into a mountain, more than any real disasters. I'm seeing the price of meat in my area has doubled for most types of meat including beef in just the last 4 months or so. Ground beef stuff is getting close to 6 bucks a pound in my area, but was easily only 2.99 a pound after Christmas and before Covid nonsense.

I wanted to try it so I did a few in a food grade gallon jar. I used food grade pickling lime. I did it in February. I tried some. I scrambled them. I noticed the whites seemed a bit thinner. Other than that they tasted like egg with less egg flavor. I suppose that is why they say it better for baking and such.. So I think flavor changes pretty quick but the eggs are still ok for use..

I wanted to try it so I did a few in a food grade gallon jar. I used food grade pickling lime. I did it in February. I tried some. I scrambled them. I noticed the whites seemed a bit thinner. Other than that they tasted like egg with less egg flavor. I suppose that is why they say it better for baking and such.. So I think flavor changes pretty quick but the eggs are still ok for use..

Very cool. Self sufficiency feels good.

So if you did yours in February, then you tried them recently, and that would have been almost 6 months old that you yourself have seen for sure works right?

Thank so much for the input.

Back
Top Bottom