Question!

When do I switch to layer feed? Chickens are about 1 1/2 months old.
When they are laying.
I prefer feeding an All Flock type of feed with 18 - 20% protein at all times with oyster shell in a separate container when needed. That way chickens that don't require the extra calcium aren't forced to eat it when their bodies don't need it. It can harm them.

So, your saying they are about 6 weeks. Well, that is still too young to switch to layer feed. What are you feeding right now? If its chick starter, then you should probably start mixing chick starter with chick starter/grower. Then at about 7 or 8 weeks, you can do all chick starter/grower. Then at about 11 to 13 weeks, start mixing starter/grower and layer feed together. Then you will eventually do all layer feed.

Hope this helps!

You don't need to feed layer as DobieLover stated. I feed Med Chick Starter the first month, after then introduce gradually Flock Raiser (20%). Add a separate dish of Oyster Shells when they start laying. Never had an issue with shells/laying.
Layer has less protein, more calcium in which can/may cause issue with the liver/kidneys of chicks/males ... I've read. Besides it's so much work laying an egg I figure the girls need that extra protein to keep up their stamina ;)

Back
Top Bottom