Question

EyeHeartBantams

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 5, 2012
Manitoba, Canada
I'd like to incubate some of my Jungle Fowl eggs, as my hens are proving to not be broody in the least at the moment. However, I'm not getting a daily egg and have only the two hens. How long can I keep an egg before it has to be thrown out or placed in the incubator and how do I keep it? I'd like to know because I'd like to have at least half a dozen before I incubate. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
You can keep eggs for a few days before incubating, but keep them at room temperature. I've been told to turn the stored eggs min 3 times a day, like you do while incubating them. I've had hens store eggs for up to 2 weeks before sitting and they hatched out every single one, but that was luck, I think. 2 Weeks is pushing it a bit!

Eggs up to six weeks of age still have a percentage chance of hatching. But for best results, two weeks is Normal and fine. Store in a cool place, not cold, not hot. Closets and basements, a quiet shelf. Some people turn 2or 3 times, some don't. Since the embryo isn't developing, I don't bother. Turning wont hurt, might help. Eggs are designed to wait until a broody has a clutch and sits. That's how it works. It wasn't luck... Lol... It's the way it's supposed to work. Nature.

Otherwise chicks wouldn't all hatch at the same time and hens would either abandon most of them or starve to death.

When you have the option of all fresh, clean, perfect eggs, that's fine. And has greater percentages, mostly. But all kinds of improbable eggs can, will, and do, hatch. Collect what you want, then hatch em. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom