Questions about a few breeds and where to get them

Woozymitts

Chirping
May 14, 2020
Wisconsin
Hey guys! I’m totally new to chickens and thinking about possibly getting some either this year or next spring, but I was wondering about breeds and where to get them. I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the area about breeders but I hope it's okay here. The breeds I'm considering are:
  • Barbu d’Anvers
  • Barnevelder
  • Buckeye
  • Chantecler
  • Dominique
  • Russian Orloff
  • Wyandotte
The problem is I have no idea how to go about finding a reputable breeder. When it comes to dog breeders that’s easy, lots of people have websites with information on their dogs, health test results, etc but I have no idea what to look for in a chicken breeder.

I’m looking for a breeder that prioritizes the health and temperament of their birds, I don’t care about egg production or meat quality, I just want happy, healthy pets.

As for the breeds I’ve listed, which ones do you think would be best for me? I live in Wisconsin and have a limit of five hens maximum, but I would prefer to get three so I’m not so overwhelmed and I can focus on getting to know them each individually.

So I’d need birds that do well in a small-ish yard, can tolerate our cold winters and gross, humid summers, and are healthy and friendly. So for those of you who’ve owned the above breeds, what were they like? Temperament, lifespan, etc?

Feel free to suggest other breeds that might work for me but nothing prone to health issues, so no vaulted skulls, weird feathers, etc. I’m not a fan of feathered feet and I don’t want birds with no tails or neck feathers.

Thanks! ❤

I live in Northern MI. The only breed I have experience with on your list is the wyandotte. I have 4, one is a juvenile still. My other 3 are very vocal, always "talking" and squawking! Two of the 3 have been more aggressive towards my juveniles and one of the 3 constantly attacks one of my easter eggers. They are beautiful birds, but now that I have them, I will most likely not have any more after this. I do not prefer their temperament. Personal favorites are orpingtons. So fluffy, so docile and sweet. Just wonderful personality. Our favorite, Clarence comes over every time we sit on the swing and swings with us. I know you said no feathered feet, but we had a brahma, Tilly. She was so sweet, so gentle, and nearly winter proof! She was so soft and fluffy. Unfortunately we lost her in an accident last week. I will get another brahma when space allows. Good luck;)

I live in Northern MI. The only breed I have experience with on your list is the wyandotte. I have 4, one is a juvenile still. My other 3 are very vocal, always "talking" and squawking! Two of the 3 have been more aggressive towards my juveniles and one of the 3 constantly attacks one of my easter eggers. They are beautiful birds, but now that I have them, I will most likely not have any more after this. I do not prefer their temperament. Personal favorites are orpingtons. So fluffy, so docile and sweet. Just wonderful personality. Our favorite, Clarence comes over every time we sit on the swing and swings with us. I know you said no feathered feet, but we had a brahma, Tilly. She was so sweet, so gentle, and nearly winter proof! She was so soft and fluffy. Unfortunately we lost her in an accident last week. I will get another brahma when space allows. Good luck;)

Aw, I'm sorry your wyandotte's didn't work out and I'm so sorry to hear about your girl Tilly! Thank you though for the information on wyandotte temperament.

I've had barnevelders previously and have some chicks on order again. I always found they were fairly docile and friendly. Fine in our hot Aussie summers, but haven't had a super cold winter (we do get the occasional frosty 0 deg C night but no snow) to test them though they're fairly well feathered so i'd imagine they would do ok. Single combs so I guess it depends if frostbite is likely to be an issue.

Aw, I'm sorry your wyandotte's didn't work out and I'm so sorry to hear about your girl Tilly! Thank you though for the information on wyandotte temperament.
They are not "the worst" chickens in my book. They are loud and more aggressive than many we have, though. I also dont like rhode island reds, lol. Rhode island reds to me are worse than the wyandotte. I hope I didnt make you not want to get them. One of them is niceish;) we will see how my juvenile is.

Back
Top Bottom