Questions About Another Playhouse Conversion

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
I picked up one of these for stupidly cheap:
20160_LakesideBungalow_BILT_L.jpg

It's 5.5 ft x 4 ft (that's not counting the silly fence). I plan to convert it into a goose house and write a coop article, too. I currently have 3 geese.

Here's the plan:
  • Add a floor
  • Ditch the little fence thing, the birdhouse, the play sink, etc.
  • Cover windows and gables with hardware cloth
  • Make the back solid
  • Make the open side into windows with shutters
  • Change the roof to plywood w/asphalt shingles or maybe corrugated vinyl
Do you think I should cover the long windows in the front with plexiglass or wood? I'm thinking they're too long and would expose the geese to too much of a draft.

Last edited:
My thought would be to cover those front windows with hardware cloth and put shutters on them too. I personally like more flexibility to change my mind down the road. In the summer heat, I like to be able to open up my coops more because of the heat. I think it would give you more options.
Good idea! I'll see what I can do.

I love this. I agree on covering as much as you can with HWC, and then having shutters or clear vinyl panels that can be added/removed. I hope you share what it looks like when done - I am so eager to see how it turns out! Maybe has to do with the fact that I kinda want geese, but the husband is done building coops for a while!
I haven't had even a moment to start work on it. My hope is to get a lot done this weekend, but there is firewood to be split (joy) and a muddy chicken coop that needs to be mucked out (more joy). I will hopefully do a coop build article.

I'm not sure I need to. There are just the 3 in there, and they are sharing a smaller place now without problems. When I get my Cotton Patch in spring, they will be in their own area.

I love this. I agree on covering as much as you can with HWC, and then having shutters or clear vinyl panels that can be added/removed. I hope you share what it looks like when done - I am so eager to see how it turns out! Maybe has to do with the fact that I kinda want geese, but the husband is done building coops for a while!

Back
Top Bottom