Questions about behaviours of silkies

Schmay

Chirping
Dec 9, 2018
Adelaide, Australia
Hey all,

I have 2 silkies and I've been reading as many articles as I can. And I just had a couple of questions.

1. Egg laying - I know on average they lay 120 eggs per year, less so in colder months, etc, just wondering from those who happen to have silkies is their laying intermittent throughout the year? As in lay for a month, don't lay etc or is it more for 6 months they lay and then they don't.

2. What sort of things affect their laying (not talking about diet her more environmental influences)

3. Best weather conditions for silkies. I hear chickens prefer colder to hotter and it's summer here where we often get over 35 degrees Celsius. What sort of temperatures should I start worrying about the chickens and their health, I notice most people on these threads tend to live in much cooler climates.

4. I hear that eggs getting stuck is a thing. Is this a comment thing or a random things? And how do u know/ how do you get it out?

5. Do broody chickens stop laying?

6. Is it OK to leave water where they sleep/nest (hot weather here)

I think that's it for now. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

I believe 120 eggs/year is an optimistic number for silkies. Many lay a clutch and then go broody.

Photo period and broodiness have the greatest impact on their laying

In my experience silkies tend to handle both heat and cold as long as they have shade and adequate water for the heat and are well fed and dry for the cold.

I have never had an eggbound silky.

Broody chickens stop laying and take a break after their broodiness ends.

No problem with leaving water where they sleep.

I believe 120 eggs/year is an optimistic number for silkies. Many lay a clutch and then go broody.

Photo period and broodiness have the greatest impact on their laying

In my experience silkies tend to handle both heat and cold as long as they have shade and adequate water for the heat and are well fed and dry for the cold.

I have never had an eggbound silky.

Broody chickens stop laying and take a break after their broodiness ends.

No problem with leaving water where they sleep.

Hello..I just got into Silkie Chickens a couple of months ago. My Silkies are laying eggs. Both lay eggs daily and have not gone Broody. I'm expecting them to go Broody once spring starts here in Canada. I don't believe in Australia you need to worry about them getting too cold in the winter. Mine can handle -10C although anything colder they sort of shut down and don't move around. I run heat here for my Silkies in the winter.

Hello..I just got into Silkie Chickens a couple of months ago. My Silkies are laying eggs. Both lay eggs daily and have not gone Broody. I'm expecting them to go Broody once spring starts here in Canada. I don't believe in Australia you need to worry about them getting too cold in the winter. Mine can handle -10C although anything colder they sort of shut down and don't move around. I run heat here for my Silkies in the winter.
Hey thanks and good to know, our winters can have some cold nights, not rarely freezing temps but we can get below 10 degrees celcius.

Back
Top Bottom