Questions about bourbon reds?

Luckyhen006

Chirping
Mar 13, 2024
Hello there,
So I have 3 bourbon red turkeys. They are 8 months old,
I'm thinking they are one Jake, two Jennies.

And I just had a few questions and I was hoping someone may be able to answer? So let's get to it then,

#1 When do they normally start laying?

#2 when will the eggs become fertile? And when do the Jakes typically decide to mate the Jennies?

#3 When did your Turkey's start laying?

Thanks in advance!! 😊

#1 When do they normally start laying?
The spring following the year they were hatched. In my area that is usually the middle of March. If you live farther south it may be sooner. If you provide supplemental light it may be sooner.
#2 when will the eggs become fertile? And when do the Jakes typically decide to mate the Jennies?
My toms usually begin breeding in February.

In my experience the first egg laid by a hen is usually infertile. If she has been bred the rest of her eggs are normally fertile.

It's also more of a when do the hens submit for the toms than a when do the toms decide to mate.

FYI, when Bourbon Reds have their mature feathers, the hens will have light colored lower edges on their breast feathers and the toms will have dark colored lower edges on their breast feathers.

The spring following the year they were hatched. In my area that is usually the middle of March. If you live farther south it may be sooner. If you provide supplemental light it may be sooner.

My toms usually begin breeding in February.

In my experience the first egg laid by a hen is usually infertile. If she has been bred the rest of her eggs are normally fertile.

It's also more of a when do the hens submit for the toms than a when do the toms decide to mate.

FYI, when Bourbon Reds have their mature feathers, the hens will have light colored lower edges on their breast feathers and the toms will have dark colored lower edges on their breast feathers.
Oh okay, thank you so much!! And this may be a really dumb question but I thought I'd just ask, how old are they normally when they have their Mature feathers?

Last edited:

Is they're ever a time where they just don't? Or is it a pretty guaranteed deal? I'd hate to have to buy more hens Just so that their eggs would be fertile.

I had one tom who was very picky and would only breed his favorite hens at the start of breeding season.

He eventually bred all the hens once his favorites went broody.
Oh.... Picky Bird :lau

Well I guess I'll just have to keep waiting then,
It feels like it's taking forever!! The chickens and the ducks are already laying,

Is There possibly anything that I could be doing that could be prohibiting them from laying? Or do they just need sunlight and spring?

Back
Top Bottom