Questions about Cochin voice and roosting

Cochaura

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 4, 2011
East Central Minnesota
I hope this is the right place to put this post - I had it in the Cochin thread, but there were no responses.

I have a couple of questions about my buff cochin MaxMaxine- he/she was the mystery chick sent in our order and definitely my favorite (I feel bad saying that) of the bunch! All of the others are araucana/americaunas.
First question - how high can they normally jump? I feel bad because all the other chickens perch together on a roost that is about 5 ft off the ground; he plops himself on the edge of a flat surface about 2 ft off the ground and doesn't use the other lower perches that are about 2-3 ft off the ground - he can get up onto them, but seems to prefer the flat surface. I want to get another buff cochin so he'll have a buddy to perch with! He is a lot bigger than the others and had a broken/torn wing which seems to have fully healed.

Second question - what are their sounds/calls normally like? His sounds more like a honk than the chattery sounds the others make. I just want to know if that is normal or if I should be worried about a cold or respiratory illness. He doesn't seem ill at all.

Thanks for any input!

My cochin roo roosts with the rest of the flock - so does my cochin pullet. Their roost is about 4 feet off the ground, with a step of sorts about 3' up. His crow is a beautiful normal rooster noise, but all young roos go through an adolescent phase where their voice sounds more like a dying giraffe!

Our cochin pullets have lovely voices, low and a little husky. Very different from the other girls. When they are startled, the sound is almost a honk.

As for roosting, their coop has a roost about 3 feet up, and they can use the top of the nest box as an intermediate step if needed. No one sleeps there, they all cuddle together on the roost.

My cochin roo prefers the lower roosts, and his crow sounds like a ooga horn. Like a old model T. Very funny sounding! My other cochin roo sounds normal.

Back
Top Bottom