Questions About Farm Coturnix Quail

Birdie2019

Songster
May 12, 2020
Florida
Hello. I’m looking into quail to later get. I’m wondering:
1- Coturnix Quail vs any Bantam Chicken breeds (size comparison)
2- is Myshire Farm a good place to get quail?
3- Jumbo vs Regular Coturnix Quail. Which is better for “Dual Purpose” like in chicken breeds. Looking for one good for both eggs and meat.
4- Thoughts about Celadon Quail (that breed true) for dual purpose reasons as well. Also, would I have to breed for Jumbo or are they already jumbo sized?

Sorry for all the questions. Couldn’t find answers for them really when doing my research on the internet. Thought it would be better to just ask.

3- Jumbo vs Regular Coturnix Quail. Which is better for “Dual Purpose” like in chicken breeds. Looking for one good for both eggs and meat.
4- Thoughts about Celadon Quail (that breed true) for dual purpose reasons as well. Also, would I have to breed for Jumbo or are they already jumbo sized?

Sorry for all the questions. Couldn’t find answers for them really when doing my research on the internet. Thought it would be better to just ask.
First quail grow lay and hatch faster ... wait thats all i got on vs

1. Bantam chickens grow like chickens, won’t lay eggs until about five months or so. Coturnix (Japanese) quail are mature at about five to six weeks and start laying any mating then, so they’re a lot faster in terms of production. They do need a very high protein content feed when young though to support that fast growth, 28-30 % is best. I would rather eat a nice plump quail than a scrawny bantam, many bantams are quite a bit larger and heavier than the biggest Coturnix but I would imagine much tougher and bonier than jumbo meat Coturnix as well.
2. Myshire is great for quail, good hatch rates and healthy hatching eggs. I have a mixed color batch and they are all good layers and hardy birds. I did get an albino that had to be culled from their silver collection though.
3. Go with jumbo. More meat, bigger eggs, and they still lay daily. Regular cots are still super productive but definitely less meat.
4. Most celadons are not yet jumbo sized but I bet with some looking around you can find some larger celadons, maybe even improve their size yourself!

1. Bantam chickens grow like chickens, won’t lay eggs until about five months or so. Coturnix (Japanese) quail are mature at about five to six weeks and start laying any mating then, so they’re a lot faster in terms of production. They do need a very high protein content feed when young though to support that fast growth, 28-30 % is best. I would rather eat a nice plump quail than a scrawny bantam, many bantams are quite a bit larger and heavier than the biggest Coturnix but I would imagine much tougher and bonier than jumbo meat Coturnix as well.
2. Myshire is great for quail, good hatch rates and healthy hatching eggs. I have a mixed color batch and they are all good layers and hardy birds. I did get an albino that had to be culled from their silver collection though.
3. Go with jumbo. More meat, bigger eggs, and they still lay daily. Regular cots are still super productive but definitely less meat.
4. Most celadons are not yet jumbo sized but I bet with some looking around you can find some larger celadons, maybe even improve their size yourself!
Thank you so much! What I was looking for. And Jumbos, yes. Was wondering if they were like the CX in chickens, but apparently not. Thanks for the info. But anyone have an idea of size comparison of bantams vs quail? Are quail half the size or roughly the same?

Thank you so much! What I was looking for. And Jumbos, yes. Was wondering if they were like the CX in chickens, but apparently not. Thanks for the info. But anyone have an idea of size comparison of bantams vs quail? Are quail half the size or roughly the same?
Tiny bantams like Sebrights and Seramas are around 20-25 or so ounces, bigger bantam like RIR bantams are more like 30-35. The average quail is 7-10 oz while jumbos are 14-17 oz. Quail are a lot smaller and more compact. Wild, undomesticated Japanese quail are only 4 oz!

1. Coturnix are smaller but grow SOOOO fast. Some jumbos may be near the size of like a really tiny bantam.

2. Myshire Farms in an AMAZING place to get quail. I just got my first eggs from them a few weeks ago. It is easy to contact Zack who runs the whole production if you have any issues at all. They also have weekly livestreams on YouTube where you can learn so much about them and ask any questions at all.

3. Jumbo, Jumbo, Jumbo. With jumbo quail comes jumbo eggs. They will lay the same amount of eggs as other quail but be twice the size. Definitely go with Jumbos.

4. I don't know about Jumbo Celadons. I think they would be awesome because celadon eggs are easier for candling. But I don't know if anyone has breed for jumbo with them.

Good luck!!!

1. Coturnix are smaller but grow SOOOO fast. Some jumbos may be near the size of like a really tiny bantam.

2. Myshire Farms in an AMAZING place to get quail. I just got my first eggs from them a few weeks ago. It is easy to contact Zack who runs the whole production if you have any issues at all. They also have weekly livestreams on YouTube where you can learn so much about them and ask any questions at all.

3. Jumbo, Jumbo, Jumbo. With jumbo quail comes jumbo eggs. They will lay the same amount of eggs as other quail but be twice the size. Definitely go with Jumbos.

4. I don't know about Jumbo Celadons. I think they would be awesome because celadon eggs are easier for candling. But I don't know if anyone has breed for jumbo with them.

Good luck!!!
Thank you for your input! Appreciate it

Most celadons are not jumbo sized. I ordered snowies from Myshire and they are considerably larger than my home grown celadons, however I’ve been crossing them to produce snowie celadons, and Ive found that some of the original Myshire birds carried celadon. So it’s possible they may have some larger, or they may be working on it.

jumbo coturnix get up to a pound and they are great for dual purpose because they huge and good for meat and they are supposed to lay 300+ eggs a year.

I had eggs shipped from Myshire and they were great. I would definitely go with them again if I were going to buy more hatching eggs or quail. Sounds like Jumbos would suit your purposes the best. I'm a quail newbie, but I would assume that to keep your birds "Jumbo," you would select the largest ones to breed and/or the ones that lay the most or the biggest eggs.

Back
Top Bottom