questions about foie gras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I read that it sells for $40 per pound, and that one duck will produce a 1 1/2 pound liver. On top of that, the rest of the duck is harvested as normal.

I just googled it and there was some good info on wiki. I know this was just mentioned earlier, but I got curious what actually constituted fois gras. It turns out to legally be fois gras in France the bird has to be force fed. However you do not have to force feed be in order to produce the fatty liver, which is done outside of France. I would suggest googling it and reading what you can from the web. Probably more helpful info.

yes I understand what goes into the production of foie gras and to my understanding fois gras production is not currently illegal where I live. I will not have an industrial foie gras production and foie gras can be made without harming the ducks even by using gravage. If you have any problems with foie gras I am more than willing to discuss it in PM. I know this might not change peoples minds about foie gras, take a look at this article in your spare time.

Besides that if you have experience with foie gras and would like to discuss it in PM instead of open forum I would love that as well.

-Loki

All this foie gras talk did was make me hungry!
tongue.png

Me too. I always wanted to try it but I am not a fan of liver to begin with and I have no idea where to get it so I never got to.
I just read the article as well, very informative and well written. Like anything else a lot of the animals care has to do with management. Hudson valley seems to take very good care of their birds, but I am sure there are others who do not. It would be akin to not buying a puppy because every one who breeds dogs does so like a mill.
Hopefully you will find the info you are looking for in order to make it yourself. Personally it seems like a good deal of work for personal use, but good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom