Questions about incubating chickens (and turkeys)

MrDankYT

Songster
6 Years
Feb 11, 2017
I've just put 9 (6 chicken 3 turkey) eggs in my simple incubator, wich has hatched chicks before.

my mom says its really important to keep the lid on and not open it, but alot of other people has opened their incubator and candle them, but everywhere else i've seen that people open their lids and candle the eggs, but that they should never open the lid during "lockdown" (3 last days of incubation) should i really not open the lid at any time or is that just something my mom came up with?

I have though been too curious and opened the lid really fast and taken out 3 chicken eggs and the 3 turkey eggs, candled them and seen that all of the 3 chicken eggs that i've looked at are definentally fertile with the so called "spider" pattern, the turkey eggs i can see nothing basically, just looks like its a normal egg, though i have not had these turkeys for a while, just about a month or so, so they may not be fertile? or is it just becouse turkey eggs are bigger and you cannot see the pattern as good,

Little information about the eggs: Broody hen did'nt wanna keep laying on her 6 eggs (dont know why), so i took them in to my incubator and now the incubation continues

Turkey eggs: just got them from my turkey that lays the eggs, it did'nt try to lay on the eggs at all.

please give any needed information in comments

im thinking about buying this better incubator, since the one i have right now does'nt have a hygrometer
http://incubatorwarehouse.com/hova-bator-genesis-1588-advanced-kit.html

Last edited:
The less handling the better but you can candle a couple times. I usually do so around day 7-10 and again around day 18.
After that you do need to raise the humidity and keep it closed.
Does your incubator have a turner or are you hand turning?

it has a turner so i dont need to open it to turn the eggs, and is there any way to easily raise the humidity

Depending on the type of incubator, there may be holes in the top to run a tube into and to the water reservoirs. Surface area, as opposed to volume, raises humidity. So a wet sponge will raise humidity more than just water.

I've just put 9 (6 chicken 3 turkey) eggs in my simple incubator, wich has hatched chicks before.

my mom says its really important to keep the lid on and not open it, but alot of other people has opened their incubator and candle them, but everywhere else i've seen that people open their lids and candle the eggs, but that they should never open the lid during "lockdown" (3 last days of incubation) should i really not open the lid at any time or is that just something my mom came up with?

I have though been too curious and opened the lid really fast and taken out 3 chicken eggs and the 3 turkey eggs, candled them and seen that all of the 3 chicken eggs that i've looked at are definentally fertile with the so called "spider" pattern, the turkey eggs i can see nothing basically, just looks like its a normal egg, though i have not had these turkeys for a while, just about a month or so, so they may not be fertile? or is it just becouse turkey eggs are bigger and you cannot see the pattern as good,

Little information about the eggs: Broody hen did'nt wanna keep laying on her 6 eggs (dont know why), so i took them in to my incubator and now the incubation continues

Turkey eggs: just got them from my turkey that lays the eggs, it did'nt try to lay on the eggs at all.

please give any needed information in comments

im thinking about buying this better incubator, since the one i have right now does'nt have a hygrometer
http://incubatorwarehouse.com/hova-bator-genesis-1588-advanced-kit.html

To start. If you open my incubator the last 3 days----you might get your arm broken! I never do that.

Second, do you know how far along the 6 chicken eggs are---you should stop turning by day 18---but do you know when day 18 is? You should also raise your humidity a good amount for the hatch.

Third----now you got turkey eggs in with chicken eggs which has a lot longer hatch---have you gotten all that figured out

Second is a problem since i dont know how much the humidity is byt i got Somme good ways to raise the humidity

Back
Top Bottom