Questions about integrating a duck to new partners after the loss of it's original partner

aychbe

Chirping
10 Years
May 12, 2013
Hello all,

I had 2 black swedish ducks named Bobby Digital and Ason Unique who were around 11 weeks old, feathers were completely in but they were still chirping and not yet quacking. I allow them to graze in my yard during the daytime and bring them in at night as there are feral cats that roam my neighborhood.

I feel absolutely horrible because I allowed this to happen by leaving them out until after dark and not bringing them in at dusk like I normally do. I'm assuming it was a feral cat or possibly a raccoon that got it because of the time frame and the way the duck had been killed.

I immediately picked up Bobby, brought it in and put it in my stationary tub in my basement, which is where I wash them. I noticed that it was missing some tail feathers and its temperament had changed from calm and gentle to aggressive. I read some things online and all signs point towards that being a natural response to the pain it endured from getting feathers pulled out and I'd only guess that after seeing its best friend killed and partially eaten that it would do some pretty severe psychological damage. Also, I own 2 chihuahuas and it began acting aggressive towards them, which is uncharacteristic. It hissed and snapped at me until I picked it up and held it. I'm hoping that this aggression is only temporary because it's my duck and I am attached to it.

This morning I began combing craigslist to find someone selling ducks within a reasonable distance from my place because I realize that ducks are social and a lot can go wrong if they do not have peers. Unfortunately, there was no one in the area re-homing a duck similar in age but I was able to find someone who had Khaki Campbells that had just hatched. Speaking with the guy, he has been raising poultry for many years and assured me that the duck would bond with the younger ducklings.

The ducklings are only 2 days old. When I introduced them, the already skittish ducklings ran to Bobby and all it did was bite at them. I had intended on housing them all together but at least for the time being, I will keep them separated. Has anyone had a similar experience when trying to introduce a duck who lost its partner with another pair of younger ducklings? I have no clue whether Bobby is a male or female yet so would sex cause this reaction or am I dealing with a duck either in pain/psychological duress acting out accordingly? I know this may seem a little gonzo but do ducks grieve and if so, how does one help it get over it? What is the best way to get Bobby to accept the ducklings and will I have to worry about them never bonding?

Thanks?
aychbe

Ason & Bobby at 2 weeks

Ason and Bobby at around 6 weeks

Bobby and Ason at around 9 weeks

Yes, they grieve. And ducks often have problems warming up to each other at first, so it is risky to have littles in with larger ducks.

The general approach is to keep them side by side, separated by fence, until they are all the same size, then to slowly introduce them face to face under close supervision, giving treats together to help them associate good things with being together.

Bobby has been traumatized and it will take time and patience to help him recover.

I trust you now know how easy it is to lose them. None of us is immune, we all make mistakes that can be fatal. Please get a more secure area for them. That request is probably not necessary at this point, but just in case . . .

Back
Top Bottom