Questions about Marek's Testing/Necropsy

Teach, have you gotten the final results? I just put down two of mine and researching how to get a necropsy. I too am in south central IN but can't stomach spending that much.

Yes, it was NOT marek's! I didn't mention it in my original post, but around that same time I had a little hen appear to go blind...her pupils were fixed dialated, and I could wave my hand in front of her face w/no reaction. That was another reason I was so paranoid that it was marek's... I did NOT have her tested. If my little roo had tested positive, we would have simply put her down ourselves. You might call them to see if they can determine marek's through a blood test....much cheaper. Of course you'd have to draw blood, which I don't know how to do... I balked at the price, and still find it ridiculous, but it was well worth the feeling of relief KNOWING that I don't have marek's in my flock... Good luck with your decision AND results!

Teach, I know that this is an old post, but it still touched me. I am so sorry about your roo. Reading these posts made me cry for I am losing my girl Kevin, yes a girl named Kevin by my grandson. Since I do know how to draw blood I plan on going on line to find out where to send the sample. I also don't have much money, but need to know if it's mareks. By the way I also have a chicken named Turtle by my granddaughter. Thought you could use a laugh. You take care, and again I am so sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
Teach, I know that this is an old post, but it still touched me. I am so sorry about you're roo. Reading these posts made me cry for I am losing my girl Kevin, yes a girl named Kevin by my grandson. Since I do know how to draw blood I plan on going on line to find out where to send the sample. I also don't have much money, but need to know if it's mareks. By the way I also have a chicken named Turtle by my granddaughter. Thought you could use a laugh. You take care, and again I am so sorry for your loss.

If you click this and scroll down to "resources", I have some links to labs that will do the testing. Contact them first to see how they have to have blood samples sent. I think Texas A&M might be less expensive, but it won't hurt to call around.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

re: price.It's a tough decision to pay $$$ for a necropsy on a chicken that cost $20.

If it's a pet, their value has no price.

If you have other chickens who possibly have Marek's, one may want to think about doing it for the flock because if you do have Marek's, you will need to manage new chickens much differently.

I'm not trying to sway anyone's decisions. I just wanted to say something about the benefits of testing. Yes, it appears that Texas A&M can test blood cheaply. I think a vet can draw it and send it in the right tube. Or anyone that knows how.

Finances have a lot to do with a decision as well.

Did you find out what was wrong if it wasn't Marek's? I have a four-month-old hen, Olive, who just got a blood test today for Marek's. I'm hoping that her issue isn't this or anything else that's highly contagious. On Wednesday, she was on the floor in the coop when I went to "tuck in" our chickens for the evening, so I knew something was wrong. She could support weight and even stayed on when I lifted her onto the perch, but seemed to favor her one leg. The next day she was limping, so we put her in a small cage since our chickens free-range during the day. I thought maybe she had caught her leg somewhere or sprained it and just needed to rest it for a day or two. The limp was worse on Friday. On Saturday, she couldn't put any weight on the foot. By today, Monday, both legs were splayed in opposite directions like she was doing a split, She has no use of either leg. Our hen is alert, eating, and doesn't appear to be in any pain. We have 69 chickens total, all various breeds. Almost all have names, and we know their personalities. My girls were devastated when the vet suggested euthanizing Olive. Instead, we brought her home with some liquid aspirin for chickens and an antibiotic. The vet said that many times there's an underlying infection with Marek's so that's why the antibiotic was prescribed. Anybody else have any insight?

Back
Top Bottom