Questions about New Coop (DESERT climate)

KToddy

Songster
May 17, 2022
New River, AZ
We have hatched 5 silkies and 5 purchase 5 others- they are 3 weeks old now. We built an 8x16 coop, and are considering sand or deep bedding. We do love to compost and our priorities are HAPPY CHICKENS, low odor and low maintenance. The average temp now is H90ºF/L66ºF but summer temps are up to 120º.

Also, what should I use to fill in the small gaps where the corrugated metal meet the posts (roof and ground level)
Should we put an inside border of cinder blocks to hold the sand in?
Any other recommendations? We plan on installing large mailboxes for nesting boxes with straw, and some big tree branches for roosting - hanging waterers/feeders, and some swings. If you have favorites of these things I would love to hear/see your ideas!
Thank you for any/all input!

Attachments

• IMG_7515.jpg
    IMG_7515.jpg
    686.9 KB · Views: 38
I would think sand would not be the best choice as it could be hot on their feet.

"Fill the gaps" for what purpose? Predator proofing, stopping chickens from escaping, looks, or ? Do the gaps "need" to be filled?
Yes- we have predators: hawks, owls, coyote, snakes.. and pack rats, mice, chipmunks that will eat/contaminate feed & water. Perhaps some spay foam insulation would work?

I read sand is cooler? They have full shade…

I guess you could make a template from cardboard to block one side, and try spray foam, but I'm thinking that would be messy.

Not sure if the chipmunks or rats would start chewing through it though.

Maybe in full shade, sand would be okay. I speak from experience trying to walk on sand barefoot, while at the ocean, in full sun. Hot hot hot. 😁

My chickens will eat the styrofoam that is on our shop's foundation. Not sure if spray foam would be good for use, at heights they can get too.

I guess you could make a template from cardboard to block one side, and try spray foam, but I'm thinking that would be messy.

Not sure if the chipmunks or rats would start chewing through it though.
I just learned from my neighbor that if you put steel wool into the hole then spray foam- the rats won’t chew thru! So that’s what I can do for the roof… but I don’t know if it is okay in the spots near the chickens…

We have hatched 5 silkies and 5 purchase 5 others- they are 3 weeks old now. We built an 8x16 coop, and are considering sand or deep bedding. We do love to compost and our priorities are HAPPY CHICKENS, low odor and low maintenance. The average temp now is H90ºF/L66ºF but summer temps are up to 120º.

Also, what should I use to fill in the small gaps where the corrugated metal meet the posts (roof and ground level)
Should we put an inside border of cinder blocks to hold the sand in?
Any other recommendations? We plan on installing large mailboxes for nesting boxes with straw, and some big tree branches for roosting - hanging waterers/feeders, and some swings. If you have favorites of these things I would love to hear/see your ideas!
Thank you for any/all input!
Hi there. My temps are similar to yours. My coop is wood but sitting on top of cement blocks to hold deep litter. I have to wet down the bedding from time to time, usually once a week in summer and always very early in the morning. Since I don’t give my flock scratch I do the stirring and damp means less dust and you need moisture to help it all break down. I like to use a mixture of straw and pine shavings. The mixture seems to keep the bedding from becoming compacted over time. How you block other gaps will really depend on what you’re planning to do inside the structure. Exterior gaps could be as simple as hardware cloth attached with metal screws. Chickens like to roost but in my experience not completely exposed such as they would be anywhere but the floor. An area protected from wind and rain is what most of us provide for our flocks, but wild fowl don’t have those luxuries. You can build an enclosed area within the structure or just plop a roost down low and call it good. You could leave it open all year and just tarp part of it in winter too. My husband made shade screens for my coop. It leaves it open but the birds feel hidden. I know this because when one had to be repaired nobody roosted in front of that spot until the screen was fixed.

You don’t mention whether this is for full time living or if your flock will have a run. In our climates deep shade is an absolute must, and my flock likes a block of ice in a kiddie pool each afternoon to both stand on and sip the melt water. I cut off the sides of the pool so they’re short enough for the birds to step in, but still hold melted water. A shaded area for dust baths in cool, damp soil is also very much appreciated. I provide both clean, plain water and water with electrolytes in a separate waterer during the hottest part of the year.

Back
Top Bottom