Questions: Brooder size for 15-20 chicks

Shan30

Songster
8 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Vancouver island
We will be picking up 15-20 Blue Amerecauna chicks in a few weeks and need to get set up.

We have a 5' circular kiddie pool with a 2' tall wire cage built around it that we used for some 3 week olds. It is in our shop which is not heated.

I am planning on raising the pool so it meets the wire and they can't hop over the edge and get stuck away from the heat.

My main concern is that with just the one heat lamp and the top of the whole pool being only covered with wire, they will be able to move pretty far from the heat an get cold. It is still getting down to 4 degrees Celsius here at night.

Should I get a second heat lamp or partially cover it to trap heat? Maybe divide them off to half the pool at first? Or will they be fine?

I would just grab a large clear plastic tub from walmart for the first 2 weeks or so. One of the large clear ones for $15 +/- will hold far more than 25 chicks, keep them close, and shielded from drafts.

So one of the ones that's about 4.5' by 2' (approx)?

Is it just because the sides are higher and will block/reflect more heat in? Cover it with wire the same way? Sorry for so many questions, these will be my first babies :) and I tend to overthink things haha!

The sterilite 105qt or bigger will hold 25 chicks for up to 2 weeks, then you can move them into the pool. The smaller area and higher sides will help keep the heat in which you will need in an unheated area.

Back
Top Bottom