Questions for those with deer netting tractors

birdy_num_nums

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 28, 2008
How do you store your deer netting tractors?

I'm thinking seriously of constructing one very soon, but am concerned about the room it will take up when not in direct use.

Also, how wind-resistant is it?

We get some serious gusts at our place and am concerned it would tumble away possibly injuring my chicks as well as leaving them loose and vulnerable (even with humans in close proximity babysitting). Do you have ways of securing it to the ground in that spot temporarily?

If you make it wide enough with a low enough profile it should stand up under most wind conditions short of hurricane force.
For example: I built mine 6.5 ft wide by 3.5 ft tall by 8 ft long. It has withstood steady winds of 30-40mph and gusts up to ~60mph. These winds haven't affected it in any way. BUT, because I live in hurricane territory I built my frame in such a way that I can stake it down if I have to.

If you use PVC pipe you could make it out of frames that are glued together but connected with loose pieces so you could take it apart and store it flat.

OR make frames from wood, etc and use cable ties to secure them together - again you could just clip the ties and fold it down for storage.

Make your netting in a way so that it goes down over the tractor like a fitted bed sheet, and then connect to the frame with cable ties. Again, you can just clip the ties, remove and fold or roll the netting and voila!

I feel like a real dork...for a few minutes after reading the subject line I sat hear trying to figure out why I've never heard of these tractors that people drive around and net deer with! And I've lived in the country most of my life...the things that go through my mind...

Back
Top Bottom