Questions I should be Asking????

BarnChickyOO

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 29, 2013
Proudly Born in the USA
Hello, there is someone offering 6 free birds on Craigslist.

They said that they have slowed down laying, and I would like to check them out.

Are there any thing I should beware of/questions I should be asking before I decide if their worth it?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks. :)

ALSO: stupid question, I know, but should I have them tested for anything i.e Pullorum. And how common is Pullorum?

They said that they have slowed down laying, and I would like to check them out.

Are there any thing I should beware of/questions I should be asking before I decide if their worth it?

ALSO: stupid question, I know, but should I have them tested for anything i.e Pullorum. And how common is Pullorum?

Whoops!

So sorry for the double-posting! :/

Occasionally, you can pick up some goodbirds from someone who is reducing their flock. Or perhaps they're finding that caring for chickens in the winter isn't all it's cracked up to be. Do you already have chickens? If so, do you have a place to quarantine the new birds for 4 weeks? Why are they being given away? Does this person have more than 6 birds? Exactly how old are they? If the answers to these questions are satisfactory, and you want to take the risk, go to see them. Are they kept in a clean environment? Handle the birds, check under wings, neck feathers, vents. Check legs. Any signs of mites or lice? Do their feathers look good? Are they molting? Are their eyes bright, do they have any nasal discharge, do they sound good (re: breathing) When you check the vents, you should be able to tell if they have completely stopped laying. If you are not sure, do some research for pictures that give a comparison of birds in/out of lay. What kind are they? Will they be compatible with the birds you already own? Or are they a more aggressive breed? Lastly, be willing to walk away from them. If you have chickens at home, you don't need to bring any problems back with you. A single diseased bird can wipe out your whole flock. Again, be willing to walk away. Your first responsibility is to your flock (if you have one).

Occasionally, you can pick up some goodbirds from someone who is reducing their flock. Or perhaps they're finding that caring for chickens in the winter isn't all it's cracked up to be. Do you already have chickens? If so, do you have a place to quarantine the new birds for 4 weeks? Why are they being given away? Does this person have more than 6 birds? Exactly how old are they? If the answers to these questions are satisfactory, and you want to take the risk, go to see them. Are they kept in a clean environment? Handle the birds, check under wings, neck feathers, vents. Check legs. Any signs of mites or lice? Do their feathers look good? Are they molting? Are their eyes bright, do they have any nasal discharge, do they sound good (re: breathing) When you check the vents, you should be able to tell if they have completely stopped laying. If you are not sure, do some research for pictures that give a comparison of birds in/out of lay. What kind are they? Will they be compatible with the birds you already own? Or are they a more aggressive breed? Lastly, be willing to walk away from them. If you have chickens at home, you don't need to bring any problems back with you. A single diseased bird can wipe out your whole flock. Again, be willing to walk away. Your first responsibility is to your flock (if you have one).

Thank you! I currently have 24 birds. I will definitely keep what you said in mind. I think that those 6 are about 3.....

We have a very large brooder in which we have quarantined new birds before.

I am with you 100% on what you said about not wanting to bring in any new problems! It's just so hard to know with chickens, you know?

Thank you so very much for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom