Questions on Becoming a Breeder?

Neco

Songster
5 Years
Jul 23, 2017
Canterbury, Connecticut
Ok so I am just planning/dreaming right now but had some questions from some more experienced people on here.

What I would like to maybe do is raise and sell a few pure breeds of show bantams as well as peafowl and sell them under a name and logo I come up with. Perhaps also sell some feathers, eggs, and veggies from my garden. I'd probably just use a free website host and also a make a facebook page. I'd like to maybe hang a little sign a the end of my driveway that says the name and date established. I would maybe have a small incubator, but probably would only hatch out a most a few dozen chicks a year. To start I'd make a facebook page and use it as sort of blog to post pictures/stories of my birds as they grow. I would look into maybe getting NPIP registered. I'd only sell to local people and wouldn't ship birds. This would stay a hobby as I would still work a normal job full time and breed them to show at ABA shows and just be pets otherwise. So really nothing big. The name I'm considering is something like [Road Name] Bantams & Peafowl.

My questions are:
- If I sell under a name would I need to register as a business or could I just stay it's a hobby and claim income on my taxes as such? I know many don't bother claiming things on taxes but I want to at least know the legal ways of how things should be done.
- Would I need to register or trademark my breeder name? Or just start using the name (making sure it's not used already of course)
- Could I use the word "farm" in the name?....not sure if it could be be considered a "farm" if I only have a small flock of chickens/peafowl and maybe the occasional other livestock?

I guess I am just looking for advice/thoughts on where to start and if you are a breeder how do you do things? I'd like to keep it legal & as uncomplicated as possible. Thanks for any and all advice and for reading!

I'm watching the thread also-not because i'd be able to set something like that up, but because it's so interesting to read about!

Ok so I am just planning/dreaming right now but had some questions from some more experienced people on here.

What I would like to maybe do is raise and sell a few pure breeds of show bantams as well as peafowl and sell them under a name and logo I come up with. Perhaps also sell some feathers, eggs, and veggies from my garden. I'd probably just use a free website host and also a make a facebook page. I'd like to maybe hang a little sign a the end of my driveway that says the name and date established. I would maybe have a small incubator, but probably would only hatch out a most a few dozen chicks a year. To start I'd make a facebook page and use it as sort of blog to post pictures/stories of my birds as they grow. I would look into maybe getting NPIP registered. I'd only sell to local people and wouldn't ship birds. This would stay a hobby as I would still work a normal job full time and breed them to show at ABA shows and just be pets otherwise. So really nothing big. The name I'm considering is something like [Road Name] Bantams & Peafowl.

My questions are:
- If I sell under a name would I need to register as a business or could I just stay it's a hobby and claim income on my taxes as such? I know many don't bother claiming things on taxes but I want to at least know the legal ways of how things should be done.
- Would I need to register or trademark my breeder name? Or just start using the name (making sure it's not used already of course)
- Could I use the word "farm" in the name?....not sure if it could be be considered a "farm" if I only have a small flock of chickens/peafowl and maybe the occasional other livestock?

I guess I am just looking for advice/thoughts on where to start and if you are a breeder how do you do things? I'd like to keep it legal & as uncomplicated as possible. Thanks for any and all advice and for reading!

1) From what my tax person said two days ago, a buisness needs to have profit at least 3 years for every 5 or it is considered a hobby by the government.
2) I would register and trademark it just so you don't get in trouble if someone else does and then gets mad at you later on
3) I'm not sure. I don't see why not but get another opinion.

Also you'll need to be NPIP to ship or sell out of state any adult birds, chicks or eggs

You may also need a license for vegetable and fruit produce, as well as any butchered birds

I don't plan on butchering birds or shipping them, only selling locally so I should be ok not being NPIP. But I may do NPIP down the road. I did just find this though regarding veggie sales:
  • If you're growing food in agriculturally zoned, unincorporated areas, you can legally set up a farm stand. If it's temporary or smaller than 120 square feet, you don't need a building permit.

• To sell at a farmers market, you have to apply for state certification. The application requires identifying where you grow your food and identifying the food you intend to sell. Your property may have to undergo a state inspection.

• If you deliver your own produce to customers or have them pick it up from you, no license is needed to sell fruits and vegetables.
Do you know if there is a certain threshold of sales you have to meet to considered a hobby vs business or is it just any income at all with in the 3/5 years?

Back
Top Bottom