questions on pipping overdue eggs yourself

kycowgirl78

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Morgantown, Ky
I've heard ppl on here say that they have occasionally pipped incubator eggs themselves and have had a little success in getting them to hatch. How do you know where to pip, the air sac obviously but I had 3 overdues in my bator that I popped the top off of and the sack inside was really stuck to the chicks, they never made it out. I tried to do as little damage as possible by just breaking the sack around the beak but couldn't really tell where the head was and had to dig around a little and do a lot of damage. Anybody have any advise on how to do this better?

I've been saving a few this way. Honestly, I get more heartbreak than success. Had a B. C. Maran, my wife and I helped and helped. Finally got it up on it's feet. It's a pullet! Murphy hasn't won yet!!!! Have exellent results on Seramas, have been doing all the work for many of them! They don't bleed, like a bigger chick and for the most part seem to just get up and go! Have 1 in the incubator, now. Just waiting for it to get 100%. The eggs were shipped way too far. Only 2 finished development, of 9. 1 dead when I popped his top. The only survivor was weak but is trying to stand tonight and I think he will make it!!! The last hatch, 2 pipped and stopped. I finished the work for them. 3 others, I did it all! All 5 are doing fine after 8 days. Non that were alive when I broke the shell, had any serious problems. Good luck, take what you save and don't feel too bad about the ones that don't make it.. Tim

Back
Top Bottom