Questions on slaughtering / butchering...

I didn't read all the previous posts, so i'm probably repeating some things.

I let the cleaned birds rest in the fridge - not in water - for at least three days before freezing or cooking. On an older bird, the very best way i have found to prepare them is in the crock pot. Even if i'm going to make soup, i will crock pot the whole bird and then pick off the meat for soup. Scrumptious.

Quote:
Any details on cutting the throats? Just slice one jugglar? Slice all the way across? Take the head?

Anyone ever hear of or experience the "adrenaline runing the meat" thing?

I'm guessing my wife was right and that the bird was closer to a year old. She usually is right (don't tell her I said that!)

Most folks on here cut the jugular. I cut the entire throat in one swift cut from side to side.

There is going to be adrenaline in the bloodstream no matter what the method of kill. This is something that is released as the animal loses blood, causing the heart rate to speed up to fill lost arterial/venous volume. No avoiding that, I would imagine.

My killing station consist of an A frame, 2 pieces of twine hanging from each side (about 15 inch each), a cardboard box ( to make my mess in and discard), a stool to hold the box up, a big covered soup pot with water and a sharp pairing knife.
I hang the living bird by the feet from the twine and make my cut with the blood draining in the box below. Takes about 3 mins. I then either pluck or skin until it is clean enough for me to remove one foot and then I remove the head and make the cut to remove the inside.
I cut my birds in half and throw them in the water (first bath). The entire back bone and neck is for soups. But an old bird, would have been retained for a soup or gumbo anyway.
I used to have problems killing. I used to have my husband or father do it, but sometimes one of them would complain, so I tried all kinds of ways to kill them myself. Wasn't very good at it, until I came up with my current method. The meat is cleaner than it used to be....way less blood. It seems to taste less offensive too, but maybe I was more delicate then..idk.
I would have to agree with all the friends that advise you to keep it in the fridge for a few days. That diffinetely will help loosen the muscles up a bit.
I try to kill a broiler type as early as possible. They just eat too much. A dual purpose, I kill @ about 20 weeks....the unwanted roos, that is. I would kill an old bird, but I would soup him.

Questions:

I've heard adrenaline can ruin meat...did I do something wrong in slaughtering them that would have caused adrenaline to mess it up?

Stress can lower the quality of meat, but that is more of a palate thing. Most supermarket meats are from stressed animals, but the general population doesn't notice.

Was the rigor mortise an issue? Should I have been quicker or let them sit longer before freezing them?

This is most likely the biggest culprit. I like to let sit in the fridge for at least two days, up to four.

Is there something I should do different in aging / processing? I've heard to let them sit in a pot of ice-water in the refrigerator overnight.

I would wash well, wrap well or vacuum seal and place in the fridge for a few DAYS. Overnight isn't long enough. Also, you can brine if you wish before cooking (let soak in a sugar, salt and water mix).

Or was the whole thing just an age issue and i'm reading too much into it?

I've eaten a rooster that was 8 months old, still very good and tender. I'll be picking up some 1.5 y/o this weekend.

Any tips on killing and having tender birds would be appreciated. The more the better!
I want to kill a turkey when he's old enough and want to make sure I do it right and have a good meal.

The older the bird, cook long and low. The 8 month old roo I cooked was cooked at 275 for 3 hours I think (can't remember, I posted in this section).​

Quote:
I have heard the same thing. I have always tried to put an animal down as quickly and painless as possible. I use the cone method, 1 slit on both sides of the neck ( no sawing, I use a razor blade)

Was the rigor mortise an issue? Should I have been quicker or let them sit longer before freezing them?

After the bird bleeds out, about 2.5 - 3 mins., I would pluck them.

Is there something I should do different in aging / processing? I've heard to let them sit in a pot of ice-water in the refrigerator overnight.

I do the cornish x and have never aged them. Game birds ( hunting ), they would be aged. I use to know an old timer, he would let his birds hang until the feather were just about falling off.

Kaj​

Aging the meat is a must, the bird must at least go through rigamortis. I go about 3 days. Also try brine. I did that last time and the eat was sooooo tender, I was reallly suprised. Brine is a salt/sugar solution that breaks down the fibers of the tissue. there are lots of good instructions online.

Age of the bird has way more to do with it than your technique, IMHO.

I brine all poultry, regardless of age. We cook older birds in a gumbo, low and slow for hours and a year old rooster still is tough.

Quote:
We've got goats and we love them, well it's definitely a love hate relationship.
lol.png
A bunch of old timers told us, if our fence couldn't hold water it won't hold a goat. We scoffed at it and got the goats anyway. It took about three hours for us to realize that our goats went for a countryside stroll. We met ALL of our neighbors that day. We listen to old timers now.
roll.png

Make sure you have a good fence before you get goats! Oh and newborn goats are the absolute cutest animals on earth.
wink.png

Quote:
I got to sit down and actually watch the video tonight. It's one of the best i've seen yet (minus the wind noise). They make it look even easier than what I was doing....and we weren't that far apart. It was especially helpful in the gutting area. I had help there and never really saw how he was doing it when we slaughtered.

The fact that the had a SHARP knife looked very helpful!!! (lol) Mine was like cutting with the back of the blade!!!

Do any of you use the vinegar / water thing? If so...how much and for how long?

My question from all of this is....if we want to keep the skin on a bird....do you gut it before or after you pluck it? I'm assuming after....but it seems wierd that you would leave the inner parts when scalding.

Also....do any of you use the feet for broths? I've heard that they are good....but it seems like it would take alot of feet to do that with.

WATCH OUT CHICKENS!!! HERE I COME!!!
lol.png

Last edited:

This is most likely the biggest culprit. I like to let sit in the fridge for at least two days, up to four.​

If rigor mortise could be an issue....we likely froze it at the right (WRONG) time. Stiff as could be when going into the freezer.

I do the cornish x and have never aged them. Game birds ( hunting ), they would be aged. I use to know an old timer, he would let his birds hang until the feather were just about falling off.

Out of the fridge??? It sounds a little iffy to me....like food poisoning iffy.

Also try brine. I did that last time and the eat was sooooo tender, I was reallly suprised. Brine is a salt/sugar solution that breaks down the fibers of the tissue. there are lots of good instructions online.

I'll have to look into the brine thing....not familiar with it. Sounds interesting though.

A bunch of old timers told us, if our fence couldn't hold water it won't hold a goat.

lol.png
LOVE IT!
I've started writing a few columns for the Dexter newsletter and our web site called "Greenhorn's Corner - Articles by a greenhorn for greenhorns" This sounds alot like the one I was getting ready to write on fencing. I've heard goats are worse than cows....but calves seem like they can run/squeeze/squirt through anything except a good mesh.....can't beat it.

OH....and electric.....it's NEVER powerful enough! Just when you think you got it......something comes along to throw you a curve!

(This year it was a severe drought....our electric was USELESS....even when watering the ground rods. This is the part where you imagine the cow LICKING the electric wire!)

Back
Top Bottom