Questions with a broody goose

Adamjason1

Hatching
Apr 23, 2023
Hey everyone!

I'm somewhat new to broody geese and I have some questions and would love input from anyone who knows more than me. I got a breeding pair of Chinese geese (who raised a flock of golsing they hatched last year) and this is their second year with eggs. They just started laying. I took the first egg because I've heard it's not usually firtle. She now has 2 eggs and I found her sitting near them tonight. They weren't under her and warm but more next to her. Is she already trying to hatch the eggs? Or could she be guarding them? Or anything else?
Thanks for anyone's time:) (also I'm in michigan if that helps)

Mine will sometimes sit on eggs for a few hours but aren't serious until they feather the nest.

My guess is she laid them wherever she was. Or they got kicked around. I have seen my girls gather up randomly laid duck eggs with no intention of sitting on them.

Day 18 here of the feathered nest with very a dedicated sitter.

Hi! I raise geese and wouldn't assume that the first egg of the season is infertile, especially with mature birds. Did you open it to see if it was fertile?

It's possible she may be going broody - a broody will leave the eggs periodically to let them cool, and that may be what she was doing when you found her.

Hey everyone!

I'm somewhat new to broody geese and I have some questions and would love input from anyone who knows more than me. I got a breeding pair of Chinese geese (who raised a flock of golsing they hatched last year) and this is their second year with eggs. They just started laying. I took the first egg because I've heard it's not usually firtle. She now has 2 eggs and I found her sitting near them tonight. They weren't under her and warm but more next to her. Is she already trying to hatch the eggs? Or could she be guarding them? Or anything else?
Thanks for anyone's time:) (also I'm in michigan if that helps)
Every goose is different but most want a clutch before the go broody. You could date her eggs so you know which ones to remove if she goes broody. Allot of geese have it built in on what to do. Gets cold at night they will very cautiously set on them not to start them but to keep them from getting to cold. Watching her behavior with the gander will tell you allot. Is she still aggressivly wanting to be breed? Is she still adding to her nest. Extra food water and oyster shell will help her to build the clutch. Hard part about letting them do it on there own is watching, waiting and wondering. When you see her go in lock down for 2-4 days refuse to move probably hisses at you well, she has now gone broody. But it sounds good she is protecting her nest and not sitting on it which would start the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom