quick q about gathering diff hatching eggs

CA Bean

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Central Coast -California
Just wondering for the future..can you gather a bunch of different hatching eggs from people at diff times( with in a week diff) then put them all in the incubator together? Or will there be diff hatching days etc? or a big no no?

For ex: if I order eggs from Mr. J then buy some from Ms. R and then gather some of my own. Mr. J's comes in 3 days, Ms. R's comes to me in 5 days then I pull my own eggs and put them all in the incubator together? Does that work?

Just trying to figure it all out. I am seriously thinking about getting an incubator!

I got 18 from one breeder that arrived on a Wednesday from Texas.
I got 19 from another breeder that arrived on Thursday from Georgia.
I had 4 from my own EE that had been laid over the previous 7 days.

I put all 41 in the bator on Friday evening just before midnight.

6 hatched from the first breeder.
6 hatched from the 2nd breeder.
Of the four from my coop, two didn't develop and the other two died before day 18.

I've learned some valuable lessons from this first hatch.

Next time I do it, I know I'll get better results.

It starts from when you start incubating. Just remember, fresher is better! Good luck!
big_smile.png

Will work fine, just turn eggs once a day. I set eggs once a week. Chickens take 21 days from time set not day gather.

ok so i dont have chicken eggs in the bator, but i do have 3 duck eggs, they take 28 days to hatch n i put them in on Feb. 3rd so they are due around March 3- 4, but my pekin laid an egg the other day, so can i put it in now when the others are fixin to hatch? Just Very curious!!!! Any advice, wait till they hatch, or put it in now with the others??????

ro.netcmarie :

ok so i dont have chicken eggs in the bator, but i do have 3 duck eggs, they take 28 days to hatch n i put them in on Feb. 3rd so they are due around March 3- 4, but my pekin laid an egg the other day, so can i put it in now when the others are fixin to hatch? Just Very curious!!!! Any advice, wait till they hatch, or put it in now with the others??????

You could , but best to keep eggs until you get more can keep for 10 days before setting​

I am gonna say no. Because you will have to up humidity for day 18. And you dont want he other eggs to have the high humidity befor needed but here are some links to how and where to store your eggs. You should put them all in at once. But here you go oh and dont forget even when storing you must turn eggs at least once a day or more. And before incubating let sit on your counter or safe place to warm up to room temp ( usally takes two - three days) then place. Goodluck
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=135301

Last edited:
Ahh good! I thought you could do that , order several diff kinds and put them in all together but then I read something somewhere that totally confused me. Now I have to wait to buy an incubator-that is next. Thanks all!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom