Quick question about laying eggs

Everlong

Chirping
May 17, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Coturnix here, have been getting an egg a day(4) for past 3 months. Recently I put straw into the "laying box". Since then I get 1-2 a day. Nothing else changed, food, sandbox, water etc the same. Maybe less sunlight since fall is kicking in. Would straw do it? or the temps dropping, sunglight?

Night time its 13C Day around 20C.
No idea what to do next.

Plan for winter is to put them into garage, and shine an led bulb into the cage with a timer set for 12-14 hours.

Any stress will cause a temporary decrease in laying, as will decreasing sunlight right around this time of year. Any change in their environment will cause stress, including adding hay or moving their food bowl to the other side of the cage.

Supplemental light will take care of the one, a few days to a week will take care of the other.

Mine are currently molting and are laying a lot less. It's just that time or year. When you move them inside with light they will likely stop laying for a while. Once they settle in and after they are done molting they should start up again.

also found this while browsing the net for answers.......

"
20. My quail have stopped laying - The egg production dropped to half. Why?
If nothing has changed in their circumstances and nothing stresses them out and they get sufficiant light 14 hrs/day then it must be their resting period time. Quail has resting periods of 30-80 days per year in total and they normally take them at sudden weather changes and at the change of a season. In addition to that they lay less during the cold months than in the summer anyway. There's nothing you can do about it am afraid. Other reason could be if they have reached the age of becoming ex layers, generally about 2 years with coturnix coturnix (Japanese).
Solution: If you insist on having the same amount of eggs then increase the stock quantity for the winter or replace with young stock.

Back
Top Bottom