quick question about poop boards and nesting boxes

RichnSteph

Songster
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Adkins Texas
Hey folks, been off the site for a while due to work and the multitude of things that go along with getting the property here at home taken care of. So I'm back and of course have a question. I'm building a new coop for the girls out of a pile of pallets and a rather large gazebo that we took down at work. I was pleasantly surprised to be told that I could have all the lumber and tile roof off the gazebo if I wanted it... so I grabbed it! Three trailer loads of 4x4's, 2x4's, 2x6's, 2x8's, 2x10's and 2x12's mostly cedar with the 2x12's being treated lumber and most of it 10-14' long. The tile is actually concrete molded to look rustic and painted red and I think it'll do well on the coop. So anyway I'm in the midst of a 6x16 foot coop build for our current 20 hens and 2 roosters with plans to add possibly 20 more hens in the next few months. (my wife is selling eggs at $3 a dozen as fast as we can collect them so we're planning on more egg production for the future). I'm putting in 14 nesting boxes along the front wall and am hoping to put roost space above them with a poop board. We'll have close to 40 feet of roost space if I can put a roost and poop boards above the nesting boxes.

So the actual question is can I put a poop board above the openings for the nesting boxes and not cause any issued for the hens laying?

As always thank you for your time and response.

RichnSteph

I'd say as long as your girls can get in and out with issues, then you are good to go!

CT

Sweet Scavenge!!

Usually poop boards are 2' deep (come out from wall 2') with roost in the center of that 2', and about 3' high off floor.
Nests are usually about 12-16" deep...so if you don't mind bending down and under a bit to gather eggs it should work great.....
.....maybe you will gathering eggs from back of nest outside of coop?

My main roosts are over my built-in brooder. The top of the brooder is a droppings board.

I have a secondary roost for juveniles, away from the main roosts horizontally and a little lower to give juveniles a place to go that is not my nests. The top of my nests are the droppings board for the juvenile roost.

As long as you are not getting poop in the nests I don’t see any issues.

Back
Top Bottom