Quick Question on Beak Color

YungRooster

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2017
Over the past year or two I have experimented in breeding my chickens, all of my F0 birds beaks were tan with little to no black at all. In all of the initial offspring they had solid black beaks and the continuing generations of offspring show the same pure black beak. What caused the black beak's sudden appearance, and Have I completely removed the possibility for a tan beak?

Very interesting. What do you mean by 'F0 birds'?
Hopefully a genetics expert comes along and views this thread because I'm curious too. :)

I have observed that beak color and leg color seem to go together (i.e. all my crevecouers have slate legs and beaks, my orpingtons had yellow/ivory legs and beaks, my Rhode Island reds and barred rocks had yellow legs and beaks).
Out of curiosity, have you noticed the same correlation with leg color and beak color in your birds?

I am very interested to hear about that too..

Pictures would be best to base any genetic comments on the subject

In general beak color is affected by the same genes that affect dermal and epidermal expression in chickens, for example the Birchen allele(ER) and the Extended Black e allele(E) have a strong effect on epidermal pigmentation, sex linked dermal inhibitor Id(Id/Id on males and Id/- for females) will effect the melanin expression on the dermis, a E/E id+/id+ bird is expected to have a black/Dark shanks, beaks. The autosomal dominant Fibromleanotic mutation(Fm/Fm) will boost both dermis and epidermis melanin expression and in presence of id+, the entire bird is turned black.

In chicken genetics.

P(a) = Parent line a
P(b) = Parent line b

F1 = the offspring of the cross between P1 and P2(P1xP2)
F2 = the offspring of the cross between F1s(F1xF1)
BC1a = the offspring of the cross between F1 and Parent line a
BC1b = the offspring of the cross between F1 and Parent line b
BC2a = the offscrping of the cross between BC1a and Parent line a
BC2b = the offscrping of the cross between BC1b and Parent line b

Last edited:
Hopefully a genetics expert comes along and views this thread because I'm curious too. :)

I have observed that beak color and leg color seem to go together (i.e. all my crevecouers have slate legs and beaks, my orpingtons had yellow/ivory legs and beaks, my Rhode Island reds and barred rocks had yellow legs and beaks).
Out of curiosity, have you noticed the same correlation with leg color and beak color in your birds?

The original hens all had ivory colored legs with tan beak while the original rooster had yellow legs with a tan beak., the F1 gen had pure black beaks and ivory/grayish colored legs, and now their chicks are all yellow legs with black beaks.

I am very interested to hear about that too..

Pictures would be best to base any genetic comments on the subject

In general beak color is affected by the same genes that affect dermal and epidermal expression in chickens, for example the Birchen allele(ER) and the Extended Black e allele(E) have a strong effect on epidermal pigmentation, sex linked dermal inhibitor Id(Id/Id on males and Id/- for females) will effect the melanin expression on the dermis, a E/E id+/id+ bird is expected to have a black/Dark shanks, beaks. The autosomal dominant Fibromleanotic mutation(Fm/Fm) will boost both dermis and epidermis melanin expression and in presence of id+, the entire bird is turned black.

In chicken genetics.

P(a) = Parent line a
P(b) = Parent line b

F1 = the offspring of the cross between P1 and P2(P1xP2)
F2 = the offspring of the cross between F1s(F1xF1)
BC1a = the offspring of the cross between F1 and Parent line a
BC1b = the offspring of the cross between F1 and Parent line b
BC2a = the offscrping of the cross between BC1a and Parent line a
BC2b = the offscrping of the cross between BC1b and Parent line b
Thank you for the information, I was referring to all the parents combined as F0.

I know this is a very old thread but I thought I'd put my 2 cents in for anyone searching for answers in the future. Based on my own flock, feather colour seems to influence the colour of the base of the beak, and shank colour is associated with beak tip colour.

Back
Top Bottom