Quick question translating Chicken Calculator results.

Zet

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2018
I've been practicing using the Chicken Calculator (many thanks Henk69.nl). My question is will I be able to visually tell the difference between 2 black patterned silver columbian hens that only differ by
EWh eb vs eb eb. My desire is to use the non wheaten hen.

I've been practicing using the Chicken Calculator (many thanks Henk69.nl). My question is will I be able to visually tell the difference between 2 black patterned silver columbian hens that only differ by
EWh eb vs eb eb. My desire is to use the non wheaten hen.
Your hen that is black patterned silver columbian with Wh eb is Light and the one that is with eb eb is Columbian.

The difference is barely noticeable in the hens as you can see by these pictures:

Columbian
columbian2.jpg

Light
light-sussex-1.jpg

However, in the roosters you can tell the difference by the Saddle feathers:

Columbian (Notice the black in the saddle)
100_3128_1_.jpg

Light (Notice the lack of black in the saddle)
light-sussex-107.jpg

Thank you so much. I had hoped to keep my project small and with just a few roosters, but this solves an issue.

Now for a follow up questions (always follow up questions). Am I safe to assume that Light Sussex is Wheaten and Delawares are Columbian w/ B/ or B/B?

I've just got involved again w/ chickens. We kept chickens while growing up. I've bred an ornament flower for 25+ years and learning about something that has blood and walks around is fascinating. Thank you again.

Thank you so much. I had hoped to keep my project small and with just a few roosters, but this solves an issue.

Now for a follow up questions (always follow up questions). Am I safe to assume that Light Sussex is Wheaten and Delawares are Columbian w/ B/ or B/B?

I've just got involved again w/ chickens. We kept chickens while growing up. I've bred an ornament flower for 25+ years and learning about something that has blood and walks around is fascinating. Thank you again.
You are welcome!

Okay, so the extension of black in Light Sussex is Wheaten (as you already know) and the extension of black in Delaware is Partridge.

Delawares are Columbian, but rather than being Double Factored B/B like barred rock roosters, they are Single Factored B/b like barred rock hens. So crosses of Delaware Roosters and Light Sussex hens will result in the roosters having slightly barred hackles and sickles and the hens being columbian

and again thank you. LOL No additional questions. I could probably ask 100 more but with the calculator I keep making discoveries. Some of what I need to do is just do. All in good time. In my flowers it takes up to 3 years to see the offspring, so I'm looking forward to chickens.

the extension of black in Delaware is Partridge.

Delawares are Columbian, but rather than being Double Factored B/B like barred rock roosters, they are Single Factored B/b like barred rock hens. So crosses of Delaware Roosters and Light Sussex hens will result in the roosters having slightly barred hackles and sickles and the hens being columbian

I really liked your first post about the difference of Wheaten and Partridge on a silver columbian based, but this post is really not on point.

Delawares are wheaten based silver columbian and sex linked barred, as far as I know they breed true for the barring gene son the males are B/B and females are B/- If you cross a Delaware rooster with a Light Sussex you will hatch pullets with the following genotype eWh/eWh S/- Co/Co B/- and cockerels with the following genotype: eWh/eWh S/S Co/Co B/b+

Delaware genotype is eWh/eWh S/S Co/Co B/B, the rest are wild type non mutated genes

On the Calculator

E Extension of black: eWh/eWh

Co Columbia: Co/Co

Db Darkbrown: db+/db+

Pg Pattern gene: pg+/pg+

Ml Melanotic: ml+/ml+

Cha Charcoal: Cha+/Cha+

Mh Mahogany: mh+/mh+

Di Dilute: di+/di+

Ig Inhibitor of Gold: ig+/ig+

Cb Champagneblond: cb+/cb+

S Silver: S/S

B Barring: B/B

Choc Chocolate: Choc+/Choc+

I Dom. White: i+/i+

Bl Blue: bl+/bl+

Mo Mottling: Mo+/Mo+

C Rec. White: C+/C+

Lav Lavender: Lav+/Lav+

Last edited:
Thank you. I knew I didn't know both Wh and Barring (stacking? levels? expressions?) and just ran both single and double to see the results. One feature of the Genetic Calculator is that with enough trials you can see results but not the why OR the terminology of what is happening.

I've found that there are always problems but it's what you don't know will cause the most confusion. Additional Question> Ha deleted. In writing the question the calculator answered it - CO/co has same effect as CO/CO. Less so? Thanks - Zet

Back
Top Bottom