Quiet/docile Long Term Layers

Pics

jbpoole

Chirping
Jun 15, 2020
Southeast
I live in a southern suburban neighborhood with a HOA, so I don't want to draw attention to my backyard. I have been researching chicken breeds for quite some time. A beekeeper once told me that if you ask 10 different beekeepers the same question, you will get 11 different answers. My chicken breed research has yielded similar results.

Here are my goals:

I'd like about 7 hens.
Absolutely no roosters. Even 1 rooster would be a big problem.
The hens would need to be very quiet and docile.
Egg production and feed consumption are not major issues.
Darker colored birds are preferable.

I was thinking sex-links, but it's my understanding that they have health problems as they age and the rate of lay dwindles rapidly. Some say to replace them every two years, which is not acceptable, if that is true.

What are the best breeds for accurate sexing, are quiet/docile and have good longevity for egg laying?

I was thinking sex-links, but it's my understanding that they have health problems as they age and the rate of lay dwindles rapidly. Some say to replace them every two years, which is not acceptable, if that is true.

Just for the record, I had a sex link that was 9 and still laid rarely her last year. But she did make a lot of noise when she talked

Back
Top Bottom